Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Item in fashion

  1. #1
    NewHope is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Item in fashion

    If considered the employee as a whole, who work for their boss, is there an item in fashion to call it?
    For example: Working people or Working class. But obviously the two items are out of date (because they came from Communistic theory)

  2. #2
    Nahualli Guest

    Default Re: Item in fashion

    Quote Originally Posted by NewHope
    If considered the employee as a whole, who work for their boss, is there an item in fashion to call it?
    For example: Working people or Working class. But obviously the two items are out of date (because they came from Communistic theory)
    In the states we tend to just define our working status by the industry we work in

    "What do you do?"
    "Oh I'm in Retail"
    "Oh I'm in Service"
    "Oh I'm in Technology"
    "Oh I'm in Finance"

    other than that, there is White Collar vs Blue Collar which is still pretty widespread in use.

    I guess other than that I'm not really sure what you're referring to. The term "working class" is still used but not too often, moreso because it sounds a bit condescending.

    -Nah-

  3. #3
    TheMadBaron Guest

    Default

    Workers.

  4. #4
    Nahualli Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadBaron
    Workers.
    I'm gonna interject here because I've never been called a worker nor have I heard anyone else being called that, even tho it makes sense I think it's for the same reason that no one except politicians with no future career plans call the working class, the working class.

    Employees is probably the word you're looking for. Either that or "Associates"

    -Nah-

  5. #5
    NewHope is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Okay. Blue collar!

    Thank you both!

  6. #6
    TheMadBaron Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nahualli
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadBaron
    Workers.
    I'm gonna interject here because I've never been called a worker nor have I heard anyone else being called that, even tho it makes sense I think it's for the same reason that no one except politicians with no future career plans call the working class, the working class.

    Employees is probably the word you're looking for. Either that or "Associates"

    -Nah-
    I took NewHope's examples, "Working people or Working class" to mean that what was required was a term to describe all those who work for all bosses. I would say we were all workers. I would use 'employees', or 'staff' to mean all those who work for a specific employer. I don't think 'associates' fits the bill at all.

    Where I come from, there's nothing wrong with being called working class, or being described as a worker.

    'Blue collar' describes one particular type of worker. 'White collar' describes another.

    It would help if NewHope would give us the context for the expression required.

  7. #7
    Nahualli Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadBaron
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahualli
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadBaron
    Workers.
    I'm gonna interject here because I've never been called a worker nor have I heard anyone else being called that, even tho it makes sense I think it's for the same reason that no one except politicians with no future career plans call the working class, the working class.

    Employees is probably the word you're looking for. Either that or "Associates"

    -Nah-
    I took NewHope's examples, "Working people or Working class" to mean that what was required was a term to describe all those who work for all bosses. I would say we were all workers. I would use 'employees', or 'staff' to mean all those who work for a specific employer. I don't think 'associates' fits the bill at all.

    Where I come from, there's nothing wrong with being called working class, or being described as a worker.

    'Blue collar' describes one particular type of worker. 'White collar' describes another.

    It would help if NewHope would give us the context for the expression required.
    In retail in the States, the term for the employees on the floor is "Sales Associates".

    See you have to understand MadBaron, in the States (which is where I assume the focus is of the English spoken here), there's a strange mix of culture and language. Yes, "workers" is the most direct and correct term, but people here don't like to be called run-of-the-mill workers. Everyone needs to have a spiffy title that demonstrates a little bit of uniqueness, which is why everyone and their mother here has a business card that says "Assistant Administrative Assitant" to describe being a Secretary. It's just the way American culture is.

    "The Working Class" is a term that may be accurate in terms of defining a group of people, but its tone is condescending and trivializing, which is why terms like "Staff", "Employees" and "Associates" come into play.

    -Nah-

  8. #8
    TheMadBaron Guest

    Default

    I take your point, but I'm not sure why you assume that the focus of the English spoken here is on the States.

    Sales associates' is appropriate for one type of - excuse me - worker. But can it be applied to all - no offense - workers? Surely whether it's appropriate for NewHope's needs depends on the context of the term required?

    Just as a matter of interest, what do Americans call steel workers?

Similar Threads

  1. Do we need to change the words in ( ) to plural forms? thx
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2003, 10:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk