tsihara is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A newbie needs details

Dear teacher,

I recently joined this forum and i ,as a newbie, have some problems. In fact, i was wondering how i can polish my english up while living in a non English speaking country. I used to have two hours of English course a week at the high school. Actually i attend university and major in Economics. I live in an environment where I don't practically practise my English. Is this a problem for someone who wants to take the Toef exams? If so, is there any remedy?
    I would be delighted if you could provide some guidelines to achieve that goal.

Sincerely,
    Tsihara.

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A newbie needs details

Tsihara, many people learn English in their own country with low level of contact with the language, I know teachers that have never been abroad and they do well. You just need to practice, listen radios like BBC, follow this forum, ask the teachers, watch movies, study some grammar when necessary. A new technology called Skype may help you to find a partner to talk to, or even a native teacher or instructor.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A newbie needs details

Quote Originally Posted by tsihara View Post
    Dear teacher,

I recently joined this forum and i ,as a newbie, have some problems. In fact, i was wondering how i can polish my english up while living in a non English speaking country. I used to have two hours of English course a week at the high school. Actually i attend university and major in Economics. I live in an environment where I don't practically practise my English. Is this a problem for someone who wants to take the Toef exams? If so, is there any remedy?
    I would be delighted if you could provide some guidelines to achieve that goal.

Sincerely,
    Tsihara.
    You are lucky to be in a University environment. No doubt there are other students in your position who would like to join an English conversation group. Why not ask around, or put up a notice somewhere asking if anyone is interested? Does your university have an English Department? Maybe you could inquire there.

R.