Thread: altogether

Post Thanks / Like

Default altogether

Hi,

What does "altogether" mean in this context? I am not sure I exactly get this sentence, "to avoid having bats in your house altogether," Does it mean, " to avoid having bats in your house everywhere / in every part of your house" ?

Thanks for your help.

Officer: If you have bats in your house, contact a pest control agency. They do not kill the bats, but make recommendations on how to get the bats out of your home. You'll want to create a one-way valve from your house to outside so they can get out but can't come in. To avoid having bats in your house altogether, find all possible entry points into the house and close them by caulking or screening the gap. Bats can squeeze through a gap of one-half inch. ... ...

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: altogether

It means to avoid have any bats at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: altogether

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It means to avoid have any bats at all.

You are right! I guess that would be very "funny" and scared if bats cover every part of our house.

I only saw bats once in my classroom, we are really frightened when we saw these little "strange appearance" animals. And we also pretty excited, because it is a real rare chance for us see a bat, it seems they do not like living in the city. When these bats visited our classroom, we had no idea how to get rid of them, so we just opened the windows and tried to get them out. But unfortunately, some of them were still killed by the fans on the ceiling in our classroom.