• Post Thanks / Like

Please check my text for mistakes - Images of my country

Hello. My teacher said that I need to write text about my country, Images of my country. I have written it but I need some English native speaker to check for grammatical mistakes.
    thanks.
    here is the text.
    When we think of Croatia we may think of football, Adriatic Sea or Dubrovnik. Croatia is beautiful and complex country than those stereotypical images represent us. Croatia is divided into 20 counties and the capital Zagreb's city district. Each of those counties symbolise something else.

Many people think of Croatia and immediately think of Davor Šuker. Our national sport is football. He was one of the best Croatian football players in 1998. but he doesn’t symbolise the whole country.

Food and drinks provide many images of Croatia. We eat a lot of sausage, ham, fish, filled paprika and tomatos. We drink cognac, šljivovica, brandy.

Some of the world's first fountain pens came from Croatia. Croatia also has a place in the history of clothing as the origin of the necktie

The best representation of Croatia is probably Adriatic Sea and Dubrovnik. Damlatia and Adriatic Sea are beautiful. There you can see a lot of UNESCO World Heritage Site like Plitvice. Dubrovnik is a major tourist attraction.
    However if you visit Slavonia you can have fun time there. You can visit Osijek and Đakovo, cities in the heart of Slavonia. You can see there a lot of sights.
    Zagreb is the capital city of Croatia and the biggest city.

People in my country listen to a different kind of music. We have some internacional popular bends like Karma and Colonia. You can really enjoy in Croatian pop and traditional music.

Images of people and country itself show how fascinating Croatia is.
    Last edited by dario1; 11-Oct-2008 at 21:39.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please check my text for mistakes - Images of my country

When we think of Croatia we may think of football, the Adriatic Sea or Dubrovnik. Croatia is a more beautiful and complex country than those stereotypical images represent. Croatia is divided into 20 counties and the capital Zagreb's city district. Each of those counties symbolise something else. [What do you mean?]

Our national sport is football. Many people think of Croatia and immediately think of Davor Šuker. He was one of the best Croatian football players in 1998. but he doesn’t symbolise represent the whole country.

Food and drinks provide many images of Croatia. We eat a lot of sausage, ham, fish, filled paprika stuffed peppers and tomatoes. We drink cognac, šljivovica, brandy.

Some of the world's first fountain pens came from Croatia. Croatia also has a place in the history of clothing as the origin of the necktie [Interesting statement - what is your evidence?]

The best representation of Croatia is probably the Adriatic Sea and Dubrovnik. Damlatia and the Adriatic Sea are beautiful. There you can see a lot of UNESCO World Heritage Sites like Plitvice. Dubrovnik is a major tourist attraction.

However if you visit Slavonia you can have fun time there. You can visit Osijek and Đakovo, cities in the heart of Slavonia. You can see there a lot of sights.

Zagreb is the capital city of Croatia and the biggest city.

People in my country listen to a different kind of music. We have some international popular bands like Karma and Colonia. You can really enjoy both Croatian pop and traditional music.

Images of people and country itself show how fascinating Croatia is.

It is "spotty" - you flick from one thing to another without linking the topics. I suggest you put all the information about the towns, scenery and tourism together, and keep the bits about music and sport together.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

"Food and drinks provide many images of Croatia." - we use the singular here in both instances, as each represents the general concept of food and drink (not drinks).

Damlatia - I think you mean Dalmatia.

However if you visit Slavonia you can have fun time there. - we would say, have a fun time there, or have fun there.

We have some international popular bands
    - If you mean that you have bands appearing there who are from other countries, then they are international popular bands, as you have written. I believe you might mean that Karma and Colonia are Croatian bands well known in other countries. Therefore, use internationally popular.

Images of people and country itself show how fascinating Croatia is. - Consider instead, "The many images of its people and countryside show how fascinating Croatia is." The "country itself" here is awkward.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. I see now. I need more practice. I'm very bad in writing. Thank you for helping me. I will correct the mistakes.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

You may have made some mistakes, but your writing was interesting and inviting, encouraging visitors to come to Croatia and highlighting some little-known facts. Since that was the purpose of your writing, I would say you succeeded! Keep up the practice.