Post Thanks / Like

come up the hard way

Detective Chief Inspector Jim Taggart is a tough, sarcastic copper who has come up the hard way in Glasgow's Maryhill Police Station

John Michie (Taggart - In Camera, Taggart - The Ties That Bind, Taggart - The Wages of Sin and Taggart - New Life) - news, photos, filmography, rent DVDs from LOVEFiLM

Is "come up the hard way" an idiom? But I can't find in the dictionary. Would you give me its meaning,thanks~

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: come up the hard way

In this sentence, "come up the hard way" means worked his way up the ranks (promoted) by working hard. He did not get promotions easily.

Anytime you hear that a person has "come up the hard way" you know that person has earned all the privileges or positon because he has worked for it.

Joe hasdcome up the hard way in the company, so he deserved to be president. But the owner gave that position to his son, who doesn't know a thing about the company.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: come up the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    Detective Chief Inspector Jim Taggart is a tough, sarcastic copper who has come up the hard way in Glasgow's Maryhill Police Station

John Michie (Taggart - In Camera, Taggart - The Ties That Bind, Taggart - The Wages of Sin and Taggart - New Life) - news, photos, filmography, rent DVDs from LOVEFiLM

Is "come up the hard way" an idiom? But I can't find in the dictionary. Would you give me its meaning,thanks~
    It's not an idiom, although 'the hard way' is a collocation often used with reference to people succeeding by way of hard work. Taggart has 'progressed through the ranks' - starting as an ordinary copper on the beat - unlike some 'high-fliers' of high rank (who went to university and were 'fast-streamed' - rising to Detective Inspector in a few years, rather than after a life-time's hard work).

Incidentally, if you have difficulty understanding that video, join the club! Most native speakers of English would find Taggart's accent and use of dialect words confusing.

b