• Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Congo
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Text for review

Hi,

Can you please review the following text for grammatical and punctuation errors? Thanks. MG.

My question is about an outlier in a small population. I was studying the telecommunication sector in Australia. For this example, let us assume that there are 30 telecom companies in Australia. The earning growth rates for 2007 of these companies range between -2% and 12%, with an average of 3% (simple average). Only two companies generated earning growth above 10%; 11% by X telecom and 12% by Y telecom. Also, Y telecom is one of the largest companies in the sector, with its $ 4.5 billion market capitalization accounting for 13% of the market capitalization of the whole sector (~$ 33 billion).

I wanted to calculate the market cap. weighted average earning growth of the sector, as market cap. is an important factor influencing earning growth produced by companies. I was getting a weighted average earning growth of 7% for the sector.

Now 7% really doesn’t represent the earning growth generated by the majority of the companies in the sector. Someone suggested me that I should not include Y telecom in the average calculation as it is an outlier. My reply to that was: but it represents 10% of the sector; it is an important element of the sector; if we remove Y telecom, we are not looking at the actual Australian telecom sector.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Text for review

My question is about an outlier in a small population. I was studying the telecommunication sector in Australia. For this example, let us assume that there are 30 telecom companies in Australia. The earning growth rates for 2007 of these companies range between -2% and 12%, with an average of 3% (simple average). Only two companies generated earning growth above 10%; 11% by X telecom and 12% by Y telecom. Also, Y telecom is one of the largest companies in the sector, with its $4.5 billion market capitalization accounting for 13% of the market capitalization of the whole sector (~$ 33 billion).

I wanted to calculate the market cap. weighted average earning growth of the sector, as market cap. is an important factor influencing earning growth produced by companies. I was getting a weighted average earning growth of 7% for the sector.

Now 7% really doesn’t represent the earning growth generated by the majority of the companies in the sector. Someone suggested (removed 'me') that I should not include Y telecom in the average calculation as it is an outlier. My reply to that was, since it represents 10% of the sector; it is an important element of the sector; if we remove Y telecom, we are not looking at the actual Australian telecom sector.
    You don't really need any help dude. You are good to go.