• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Pen Pal

Hello! This is my Engish writing practice. Could you please proofread or comment on my writing at your convenience? Many thanks!

My Canadian Pen Pal

Canada would remind most Chinese of Norman Bethune, a great Canadian physician doctor, who devoted himself to China during WWII. And now, besides Dr. Bethune, whenever mention of this country with beautiful maples, my Canadian pen pal will come to my mind.

I met him in an English-learning forum. I often posted a lot of questions there, and he always voluntarily helped me out. And gradually, we got familiar and became friends.

For a while, I was rather depressed. He always encouraged me to cheer up. Now, I still remember well I got an e-card from him. There was a lovely puppy in low spirits, languishly lying before a delicious cake; and then a line popped up, “Remember stressed spelled backward is desserts", and the dog swiftly took its cake away. I lighted up after watching that. He often said, “Keep smiling” at the end of his letter to me. It seemed that “Smile” was just his trademark.

Though he gave me an avalanche of help of the English language, he never tried to be condescending to me. His writing was always very neat and often started with “Thanks for your message”. I used to care little about my writing if it was not a formal paper. I was too lazy to use shift key to convert the letters in capital which required, and my letter was often studed with Internet chatting jargon, such as “how r u?”. But he never tried to boss me anything. One day, I suddenly realised by myself how uncouth my etiquette of writing was. And since then, I have been determined to try my best to write my English well.

He was very tolerant, and I hardly saw he crossed swords against any other forum members there but one time. A woman put up a post, saying, “She would not agree her daughter to marry a black man.” He responded with Martin Luther King’s quote - We must judge people by the content of their character, rather than the colour of their skin!’. This comment of his branded on my mind then at once.

He presented an impressive image which was as nice as the red red maple leaves to me. O, the cool friend of Canada!
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 14-Oct-2008 at 17:52.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Pen Pal

"physician doctor" is tautology. They mean the same thing.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Anglika,

Thank you very much for taking time to read it.

I just mixed "physicist" and "physician". (I don't have the problem on them now.)

SUDHKAMP is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like