Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
would you plz describe to me what the advantages and disdvantages of these methods are:

1- grammer translation method
2- direct method
3- ALM
4- SW
5- Sugestopedia
6- Communication approach
7- TPR

I would appreciate it if you can help me.

Best Regards

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why don't you start with some of your ideas?

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In my opinion,
Disadvantages of
1-GTM is:
- Translation of rules, teaching latin, less paying attention to speaking, teacher-based, no intraction between teacher and students and students and students, stressful environment, no creativity, and it is harsh. no based on a scientific method.

advantages of GTM:
- Paying attention to reading and writing.

2-Disadvantages of Direct Method:

-Less paying attention to writing, reading, and comprehension, no based on a scientific method.

-advantages of DM:
- Paying attention to speaking , interaction between teacher and students.

3-Disadvantages of ALM:

-Descriptive rules, analogy(comparison and contrast), teacher-based(as a model to mimic), less intraction, repeatation of practice and drill. language is a habit. less paying atention to comprehension, reading, and writing.

Advantages of ALM:
- Based on a scientific method and an approach, paying attention to speaking and listening.

I wrote those I consider are important in 3 methods, I would appreciate it if you can help me whether they are correct or not and give me your advice.

I am going to write on other methods in the next.
Best regards
Taghavi

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In my opinion,
Disadvantages of
1-GTM is:
- Translation of rules, teaching latin, less paying attention to speaking, teacher-based, no intraction between teacher and students and students and students, stressful environment, no creativity, and it is harsh. no based on a scientific method.
- instruction is not in the target language
- the meanings of the readings are mainly gained from translation into the native language
- conversation in the target language is not stressed
- relatively regimented
- the language learnt is mainly written, literary, not colloquial
- little attention to speaking, pronunciation
- little student-student interaction

advantages of GTM:
- Paying attention to reading and writing.
- grammar is taught
- students learn translation from and to the target language.
- writing in the target language
- literary language is learnt.
Grammar-Translation Method.
Also:
- rote memorisation
- traditional role of teacher and student
- correct answers are important.

These are some features of the method. It's not always correct to say that a feature is either an advantage or a disadvantage. Judgements about whether a feature is good or bad depend on subjective factors, as well as on the student's goals in learning. Would you agree?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 GTM- you say it is teaching Latin, but it really doesn't have to be. Historically, it may have had an excessive influence from Latin, leading to so-called rules about splitting infinitives, etc, but this is not compulsory IMO.
No scientific method- I think this is a criticism that could be made of most of them and not just the first two in your list, but it is especially true, I believe, of some of the later methods.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you very much for giving me your ideas, they help me a lot.
Would you please tell me if "DM" and "ALM" are correct as I wrote above?
And what does IMO stand for?

4- "SW"- Silent Way:

Disadvatages:
-it's just used for adults, it's harsh, such GTM, DM, ALM, it dosen't attend to feeling, teacher-based, he gives them instruction. fossilization might be happened by little attention to error correction, and is that a method?

Advanages:
-student-student and student-teacher have more interaction , teacher is silent, but he/she is active, four skills are important, paying attention to pronunciation, elicited information from students, speaking is emphasized, grammer rules are important(explicit),
no rote memory, and human's cognition is important.

QUESTION:
I'd like to know that if prescriptive rule is only used in "GTM", and descriptive rule used in "ALM"?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.