Thread: some sentences

• Post Thanks / Like

some sentences

Hi there,

As a university assignment, I have to write about Catalonia. I am stuck in some sentences because I am not sure if they are grammatically right and if they would sound natural to a native English speaker. Could anybody help me here? Thanks!

Sentences:

This region is located in the North East of Spain and has the second biggest city in Spain, Barcelona, which competes successfully against the Spanish capital in many aspects.

Missing a stroll along the Ramblas would be unforgivable. It is one of the main pedestrian areas and ends up at the seafront.

It is also worth it to take the trouble to visit the Gracia district

Among the most visited buildings in the city there are the Palau Episcopal and Palau de la Generalitat, being this last one the seat of the King and Catalonia.

But if there is anything unique in Barcelona, these are Gaudiís architectonical works.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: some sentences

Quote Originally Posted by silviasabater_2000 View Post
    Hi there,

As a university assignment, I have to write about Catalonia. I am stuck in some sentences because I am not sure if they are grammatically right and if they would sound natural to a native English speaker. Could anybody help me here? Thanks!

Sentences:

This region is located in the North East of Spain and has the country's second biggest city, Barcelona, which rivals the Spanish capital in many respects.

A stroll along the Ramblas is a must: it is one of the main pedestrian areas and ends up on the seafront. (we normally use the preposition on when referring to a seafront location.)

It is also worth taking the trouble to visit the Gracia district

Among the most visited buildings in the city there is the Palau Episcopal and Palau de la Generalitat; the last one being the seat of the King and Catalonia.

But for an example of Barcelona's uniqueness, Gaudi’s architectural works are a must see.
    These are just my suggestions.

I am not a teacher.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: some sentences

second biggest city
    We talk about 'big city life' and in such ways as, "Wow, I didn't realize is was such a big city." However, when we compare cities and countries, we usually say 'largest...". That's my suggestion.

ends up on the seafront.
    'ends up' has rather a 'cheap', and 'ugly' sense and sound to it, and is too much of an understatement when you are talking about the Ramblas - it gives a note of insignificance, as if in 'it starts out great and ends up at the (ghetto end of town). I'd suggest: "and leads to the seafront." It makes it sound more attractive : 'Oh, nice, it runs right down to the beach area and the sea.'

Generalitat; the
    I wouldn't use a semicolon here, just a comma.

the last one being...
    Another possibility is just, 'the latter being..'