• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb [Fable] Old Man and Tree

Hello! This is my English practice. It's based on a Chinese fable. Could someone please proofread or advise on my writing at your convenience? Many thanks!

Old Man and Tree

Once upon a time, an old man planted a sapling in front of his house. He observed it keenly how it grew everyday, and pinned all his hopes on it. He wished the little tree could grow up like a huge umbrella so he would rest in its shade in the summer. He fancied he could make a handsome and solid house out of it when the little tree grew up. He also dreamed the tree to grow as straight as a mast because he little grandson might become an official and he could put up a banner on the top of tree to honour his family in the future. But he planned to make a bridge out of it to benefit the fellow town people too. And he also wanted to make it a bed, a table and so on. Finally, he thought he was getting older day by day, and it would be the right time to prepare a coffin for himself and the tree would just fit it.

The tree was almost everything for the old man. Everyday, whenever he thought of how he could make use of the tree, he would go to touch it affectionately and water it. The sapling wouldn’t like to let the old man down, however it had been drinking too much water and burdening with much spiritual pressure. Thus, unfortunately, it died before long, though it’s just a little tree.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 18-Oct-2008 at 13:36.

tun tun is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: [Fable] Old Man and Tree

Hi there,
    I'm a new user of this site, so, I'm not quite used to it. But, after reading the story, I like it. It's a nice story.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tun tun View Post
    Hi there,
    I'm a new user of this site, so, I'm not quite used to it. But, after reading the story, I like it. It's a nice story.
    Hi Tun Tun,

Welcome to the forums. And thank you for your kind comment.

If you have any questions about UsingEnglish, you can put them up in General Member Discussion.

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ge...s-discussions/

If you run into technical questions, you can put them in in Support Area.

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/support-area/

You can trace all your posts by clicking "My Posts" at the top of the left webpage.

Hope you enjoy learning English here and have a lot of fun with forum members. See you around.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello! This is my English practice. It's based on a Chinese fable. Could someone please proofread or advise on my writing at your convenience? Many thanks!

Old Man and Tree

Once upon a time, an old man planted a sapling in front of his house. He observed keenly how it grew everyday, and pinned all his hopes on it. He wished the little tree could grow up like a huge umbrella so he could rest in its shade in the summer. He fancied he could make a handsome and solid house out of it when the little tree grew up. He also dreamed that the tree would grow as straight as a mast because his little grandson might become an official and he could put up a banner on the top of tree to honour his family in the future. But also he planned to make a bridge out of it to benefit the fellow town people too the people of the town. And he also wanted to make it a bed, a table and so on.He thought he might make a table and a chair from it too. Finally, he thought he was getting older day by day, and it would be the right time there would come a time to prepare a coffin for himself and the tree would just fit it.be just right.

The tree was almost everything for the old man. Everyday, whenever he thought of how he could make use of the tree, he would go to touch it affectionately and water it. The sapling did not like to let the old man down. However, it had been drinking too much water and he had been burdening it with much spiritual pressure. Thus, unfortunately, it died before long, though itís just a little tree. So one day, while still a little tree, it died.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Anglika,

Thank you very much for taking time to proofread my writing.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Anglika,

Should I leave a space between the items I list as below in my essay? I feel uncomfortable to read them if each item is of several lines without a space. Please just ignore the content of the list.

1. dafafaadkfjladsjf;adjfalkjf l;asdkjf aldskjfklsdjflakjfaldkadfadjflkadjlfkadjfdafjalsjf kasl;
    2. dafasfadsfadfadsfasdfafadsfadfafdsare
    3. adfasdf
    Thanks in advance!

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that is something you can decide for yourself. If you feel it looks and reads better with a line space between entries, then go ahead and do that.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I think that is something you can decide for yourself. If you feel it looks and reads better with a line space between entries, then go ahead and do that.
    Hello Anglika,

Thank you for your answer.