colloquium is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grammar Query (copula placement)

Can anyone give me their opinion on the underlined section of the two sentences below? Sentence one is correct, and I am trying to find a rule to explain why (it is just the underlined section which needs directly explaining).

To me, it seems like a simple case of the subject (it) having to be before the verb (was) as the sentence is a statement; however I feel that I'm missing something.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I donít know when it was exactly that I realized my English was good enough to do first certificate...

I donít know when was it exactly that I realized my English was good enough to do first certificate...

naomimalan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grammar Query (copula placement)

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    Can anyone give me their opinion on the underlined section of the two sentences below? Sentence one is correct, and I am trying to find a rule to explain why (it is just the underlined section which needs directly explaining).

To me, it seems like a simple case of the subject (it) having to be before the verb (was) as the sentence is a statement; however I feel that I'm missing something.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I donít know when it was exactly that I realized my English was good enough to do first certificate...

I donít know when was it exactly that I realized my English was good enough to do first certificate...
    The second one is wrong because it has the word order of a direct question: When was it that you realized.... ?

The first one is correct because it has the word order of an indirect question, which it is. It doesn't look like a textbook example of an indirect question but it is one.