Post Thanks / Like

Question Would x Used to x Going to

I was wondering if you could help me understand the difference between would and used to. I don't know when I am supposed to use them.

I still need to know if I can use "would" when I am telling a story in the past, for example: "Last night it was his birthday and he would never imagine that his friends had thrown him a party...".

And what's the difference between: "be going to" (past) and "would".
    Example: I would study tomorrow but I won't have time.
    I was going to study tomorrow but I won't have time.

Thank you so much.

Emanuélli
    EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would x Used to x Going to

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuelli
    I was wondering if you could help me understand the difference between would and used to. I don't know when I am supposed to use them.

I still need to know if I can use "would" when I am telling a story in the past, for example: "Last night it was his birthday and he would never imagine that his friends had thrown him a party...".

Thank you so much.

Emanuélli
    EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

Yes, it's possible to use "would" to indicate that something occurred, or was going to occur. However, I wouldn't use "would" in the way you have. Here's how I would say or write it. I'm going on the idea that the surprise party already took place. Therefore, I'm using "would have imagined" instead of "would imagine". It's possible, I suppose to use "would imagine", but I think it makes more sense to use "would have imagined" if the surprise party already happened. Also, I think the verb "suspect" works better here than "imagine".

Last night was his birthday. He would never have suspected that his friends were going to throw him a surprise party.

This is also possible: He would never know that his friends were going to throw him a surprise party. It was a secret, and no one would tell him. or: It was a secret and no one was going to tell him. And no one did tell him.

Here's an example using "would + verb" to show something that happened.

The surprise party would last until the next day. It was a time everyone would talk about for weeks to come.

Sometimes you can use "would" and "used to" in the same way. Here's an example.

They would go jogging every morning together when they were roommates.

They used to go jogging every morning together when they were roommates.

The circumstances permitted something to happen on a regular basis within a certain time frame. time frame - when they were roommates

Here's where we can use "used to" and not "would".

He used to jog in the morning. Now he goes jogging in the afternoon.

He stopped jogging in the morning. He no longer jogs in the morning.

He used to drink a lot of coffee, but now he drinks tea.

He would always choose dark colors when he bought shirts until she suggested he try some light colors. Now he likes light colors as well.

I would write some examples and post them in this thread. I'll let you know if they're correct.

I would study tomorrow, but I won't have the time. - This means, "If I had the time, I would study tomorrow. As it is, I don't have the time, so I won't study tomorrow. The "if clause" is understood in your sentence.

I was going to study tomorrow, but I won't have the time. - This means, "I had plans to study tomorrow. It was my intention to study tomorrow, but now I've discovered that I won't the time.

I would write some examples and post them in this thread. I'll let you know if they're correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Would x Used to x Going to

Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    I would study tomorrow, but I won't have the time. - This means, "If I had the time, I would study tomorrow. As it is, I don't have the time, so I won't study tomorrow. The "if clause" is understood in your sentence.

I was going to study tomorrow, but I won't have the time. - This means, "I had plans to study tomorrow. It was my intention to study tomorrow, but now I've discovered that I won't the time.

Here's my another perception,

Same/ (result)
    1. I don't have time tomorrow.
    2. So I won't study tomorrow.

Difference/ (condition)
    1.would:willingness to study,
    2.was going to:study tomorrow was my plan; I planned to do it.

Blacknomi

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would x Used to x Going to

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi

Here's my another perception,

Same/ (result)
    1. I don't have time tomorrow.
    2. So I won't study tomorrow.

Difference/ (condition)
    1.would:willingness to study,
    2.was going to:study tomorrow was my plan; I planned to do it.

Blacknomi
    I agree with your perception, yes. That looks good to me. Good explanation.

I think it's important, however, to take note of the implied "if" clause in order to gather meaning from "would" in this context. - One is willing only if the condition is met. As it is the condition cannot be met. Therefore, we use "would", which shows something that is contrary to what is true, or is not going to be true, in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Would x Used to x Going to

Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    I agree with your perception, yes. That looks good to me. Good explanation.
    Thank you.