• Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why was Lisa Simpson surprised at "rapport"?

Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    Back to the Simpsons - the Simpson's Grandma would not be your typical user of the word, rapport. That's why the child is in surprise and admiration of her grandmother using that particular word.
    Hi Susiedqq,

Thank you for your answer.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi guys,

Thank you for your responses.

Ouisch:

You couple are adorable and enviable. But it seems you are always at "disadvantage" from restaurant choosing to watermelon eating. Did you ever poke fun back at him?

And I don't really follow the joke : "'Plethora'?! Well, pardon me while I go play the grand piano!" I know "plethor" means "many" and "an excess of blood". Could you explain why your husband said that?
    "Plethora" in this case means a wide variety, or an abundance. Since it was just me and Mr. Ouisch in the car chatting about where to eat (and not me addressing the United Nations or something), it sounded very stilted and "posh." It would've been more natural to say "there are a bunch of restaurants" or "there are a lot of restaurants" instead of "a plethora or restaurants." So, since I was speaking like the Lady of the Manor, Mr. Ouisch adopted a similarly grandiose attitude and made the grand piano remark. (This is probably one of those jokes that doesn't translate well in print! )

Oh, I do poke fun at him quite frequently, but he truly is the master of the snide remark/witty rejoinder.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

(Ouisch, the proper answer to your question should have been "Boodles!")

I was just thinking that when I was growing up, I was raised in a family of readers, and we had, apparently, a huge active vocabulary compared to the general population (despire the high-school education of my parents). I got teased a lot for using my "two-bit words" in high school and college because I didn't realize they weren't common. It's one of the reasons I like working in the communications field. People don't act surprised when you use those words.

SUDHKAMP is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    (Ouisch, the proper answer to your question should have been "Boodles!")

I was just thinking that when I was growing up, I was raised in a family of readers, and we had, apparently, a huge active vocabulary compared to the general population (despire the high-school education of my parents). I got teased a lot for using my "two-bit words" in high school and college because I didn't realize they weren't common. It's one of the reasons I like working in the communications field. People don't act surprised when you use those words.
    I do agree, here in India, when I speak and write, people are perplexed. They say we need to refer a dictionary to understand what I am saying, but fortunately this brought me reputation and I have been given the job of editing, proof reading and improving the drafts of many of my colleagues and seniors. It has brought me more respect and awe. I think one has to use these words in an atmosphere which is conducive to such usage.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "Plethora" in this case means a wide variety, or an abundance. Since it was just me and Mr. Ouisch in the car chatting about where to eat (and not me addressing the United Nations or something), it sounded very stilted and "posh." It would've been more natural to say "there are a bunch of restaurants" or "there are a lot of restaurants" instead of "a plethora or restaurants." So, since I was speaking like the Lady of the Manor, Mr. Ouisch adopted a similarly grandiose attitude and made the grand piano remark. (This is probably one of those jokes that doesn't translate well in print! )

Oh, I do poke fun at him quite frequently, but he truly is the master of the snide remark/witty rejoinder.
    Hello Ouisch,

I've understood the joke. It's very funny. Thank you for explaining and sharing it with me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2