greeny is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question ee (or ée) not /i:/

Hi everyone!
    Are there any words in English where you don't pronunciate ee as /i:/ but somehow different?

I found fiancée, purée and Renée, but is there any word which doesn't have that accent (´)?

LeMoyne is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ee (or ée) not /i:/

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Are there any words in English where you don't pronunciate ee as /i:/ but somehow different?
    As far as I can tell, this holds only for foreign words, which in this case (ée) are normally of French origin. Like "bouchée". Words of this kind you don't pronounce with /i:/ at the end, but as /ay/. Like 'ey' in "hey. The last syllable takes the stress: bouchée

I found fiancée, purée and Renée, but is there any word which doesn't have that accent (´)?
    If you mean words that simply end in "ee" you can't be serious?! What about "agree", "degree", "bee", "free"?

No, I don't think this is what you mean. Anyway, words with "ee" at the end which are thus turned from an adjective/verb into a noun, to describe the person for which the adjective/verb holds -- like "absentee" or "attendee" -- are always pronounced with /i:/ at the end.

But not so with "fiancée", which is French, and has to be pronounced /fee'ahn say"/.

greeny is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

The ee doesn't have to be at the end of the word.
    I was looking for some "more English" words.
    If you mean words that simply end in "ee" you can't be serious?! What about "agree", "degree", "bee", "free"?
    I was looking for words where ee isn't /i:/, the words that haven't got ée, but just plain ee.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Modern English pronunciation of 'glace cherries' (it's often spelt without the accent) is /gla'seɪ/; but I've heard it pronounced in a very English way: /'gleɪsi:/ (by someone who was probably born about the end of the nineteenth century). But it doesnt have two es anyway.

b

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Hi everyone!

I can't think of any. However, there are words such as re-educate, de-emphasize, but they are hyphenated.