Thread: PTSD (Vietnam)

wsbkp08 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PTSD (Vietnam)

Hi, guys, im writing a research paper on one issue.
    I got a poem by Lachlan Irvine and i researched him and the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Vietnam Post-Traumatic Blues
    This poetry is by Lachlan Irvine. Lachlan Irvine was one of the members in Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia. He served in the Eighth Battalion, Australian Regiment 8RAR during 1966 to 1967 and in the Third Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR) in Vietnam during 1967 to 1968. He was suffering with a psychological disease called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for twenty years later. However, he began writing poetry from summer of 1987. Later that year, the Australian pop star and Vietnam veteran Normie Rowe made recordings of Vietnam War poetry and nine of them were written by Lachlan Irvine. Lachlan now is studying for a PhD in History at the Australian National University. (Lachlan Irvine)
    Like Lachlan Irvine, many other soldiers suffered with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. As he mentioned in the poetry, soldiers coming back from the war cannot go to sleep. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is emotional condition that sometimes follows a traumatic event. Some events that cause one fearful, helpless, or horrified are the main reason to have soldiers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The symptoms of this disease can make one re-experience the event through thoughts, memories, or even flashback to make one feel similar emotional intensity. ()
    According to the National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study, more than half of all male Vietnam veterans and almost half of all female Vietnam veterans, about 1,700,000 Vietnam veterans in all, have experienced serious stress reaction symptoms. Also, in 1986 to 1988, when the survey was conducted, 15.2 percent of all male Vietnam veterans (479,000 out of 3,140,000 men who served in Vietnam) and 8.1 Percent of all female Vietnam theater veterans (610 aout of 7,200 women who served in Vietnam) were suffering with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. ()
    As veterans coming back from the war, they probably have suffered with this Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and so did Lachlan Irvine. He wanted to tell other people about this disorder and enligtened others by writing a poetry. Veterans with this disorder increased the divorce rate, crime rate, and also the drug abuse rate. Other people in the society would look at these veterans and would have felt angry, pity, etc. However, these veterans had a reason to these actions. By transforming this disorder into blues, he expressed him and other veteransí pain.

One thing that I do not know is that when you cite someone's work
    you put parenthesis. For ex. for books you write something like
    I am good. (Myself)
    but what about internet webpages without author?
    Can you guys please correct my bad research paper and answer me that question.
    Thanks a bunch!

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like