Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: will / going to

Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default will / going to

Hello everyone,

would you please explain me, why I have to use "going to" in the following sentences?

What (you do) ____ with all the money you have?
    are you going to do

I've decided to study law. Really? Which school (you attend) ____?
    are you going to attend

Thanks in advance,
    Dany

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: will / going to

I would like to think this way, "be going to" means "plan to"

I am going to spend the money as much as possible; the sky's limit.
    I plan to

Post Thanks / Like

It can mean that you plan to do something, as blacknomi said, or that it will happen for sure. Eg.
    You're going to hurt yourself if you go on playing with that knife.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand this, in this sentence.

going to = plan to (o.k.)

Example:
    I ask you: What will you do with all the money you have?

I don't know, what you have planned to do with it, and I also don't know if you have already a plan what you will do with it.

Your answer could be:
    1.) I am going to drive on holiday next month.
    2.) I will spend it for poor, ill children in Africa (That could be a statement on the spur of the moment, so you have to use "will").

Do you know what I mean?

Kind regards,
    Dany

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dany
    Hello everyone,

would you please explain me, why I have to use "going to" in the following sentences?

What (you do) ____ with all the money you have?
    are you going to do

I've decided to study law. Really? Which school (you attend) ____?
    are you going to attend

Thanks in advance,
    Dany
    You don't have to. It depends on the context and the viewpoint of the speaker as to whether or not "be going to" or "will" is used.

What are you going to do with all the money you have? - The speaker has reason to believe that the listener already has plans for the money. The speaker is trying to find out the listener's real intentions and plans for the money assuming, of course, that he/she really has "intentions and plans" for the money.

What will you do with all the money you have? - The speaker thinks the listener might not have actual plans for the money. Therefore, the speaker uses "will". The answer given would be more of a prediction or some type of spontaneous idea . "What do you think you'll do with the money?" "Oh, I think I'll.........., and I'll probably........ "

I've decided to study law. Really? Which school are you going to attend? -

The speaker believes that the listener has already chosen a school. If this is the case, then "be going to" or the future progressive would be typical, appropriate, correct and usual choices here.

I'm going to attend ____________ .

I'll be attending ______________ .

I've decided to study law. Really? Which school will you attend?

I think making a choice about law school is something that someone would be certain about. Therefore, I say use "be going to".

While using "will" indicates certainty, it still doesn't indicate a plan.

The modal "will" is used with "think" and "probably" often.

If the speaker uses "will" here, I would expect the question to be, "Which school do you think you'll attend?"

answer: I'll probably go to _________________ .

I think "be going to" is the best choice here because the speaker wants to know what the listener's actual intentions and plans are. He doesn't want to know what the listener "thinks he'll do". The speaker, in such a context as this, could assume that the listener has made a decision. If the listener has made a decision, then "be going to" is correct. Also, the future progressive is correct.

The speaker could also use "will" even if he/she has a plan in order to express determination and volition. The speaker might even be expressing insistence.

I've decided that I will attend __________________ .

The speaker could be making an announcement by using "will" also. With an announcement the speaker would already have a plan. In the context of an announcement "will" is appropriate even though the speaker has already decided and made a plan.

So, generally speaking "be going to" is used for a plan. However, depending on the speaker's viewpoint, "will" is also possible.

I hope this is clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. Now I understand it

Post Thanks / Like

That's great!

Post Thanks / Like

Additionally, I think it would be good idea to observe the use of "will" in this post.

The speaker, Red5, obviously has a plan for the forum. However, Red5 is using "will" instead of "be going to" because he is making an announcement. Also, "will" is used because the speaker, Red5, feels certain about what is to take place - 100% certain prediction.

Take a look at the sentences with "will". Which sentences might be certain predictions and which sentences might be announcements for plans? What do you think?

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8001

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    I've decided to study law. Really? Which school will you attend?

I think making a choice about law school is something that someone would be certain about. Therefore, I say use "be going to".

While using "will" indicates certainty, it still doesn't indicate a plan.

The modal "will" is used with "think" and "probably" often.
    Hello, X Mode,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I read over your last two sentences twice, and here's how I would think.

EX:I think I'll choose Boston. (possibility)
    EX:I'll probably choose Boston. (possibility)
    EX:I'll choose Boston. (certainty)

In this case, I wouldn't think that "will" indicates certainty because of the verb "I think" and the adverb "probably." Certainty applies when those hesitating words are left out in the context. But we always have to depend on the context to make a word choice.

EX:Well (with a rising tone), I'll just stay at home. (certainty)
    EX:Well (with a robot tone), I'll just stay at home. (no hesitating words, but the robot tone implies 'maybe' or 'maybe not')

Best Regards,
    Blacknomi

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: X mode

Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Take a look at the sentences with "will". Which sentences might be certain predictions and which sentences might be announcements for plans? What do you think?
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8001
    Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    We have recently purchased brand new forum software which will provide everyone here with a large number of new features and tools, and hopefully a more reliable and professional forum.
    Announcements. ( But could be predictions as well.)

So that there will(1) be minimal disruption, everyone will(2) be able to log in as usual with their current member names and passwords, and all old messages and discussions will(3) have been imported into the new system.
    1. Could be either one, predictions or announcements. Minimal disruption is unpredictable and who knows if the sofrware has its own mind.
    2. Announcements
    3. Announcements

TDOL and I will keep you all up to date with our progress when there is more news to report.
    I hope it's not a prediction. <ggggggggggggggggg>

Best Regards,
    Blacknomi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast