Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: will / going to

  1. #11
    Dany's Avatar
    Dany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X mode

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Announcements. ( But could be predictions as well.)


    1. Could be either one, predictions or announcements. Minimal disruption is unpredictable and who knows if the sofrware has its own mind.
    2. Announcements
    3. Announcements


    I hope it's not a prediction. <ggggggggggggggggg>





    Best Regards,
    Blacknomi
    I am agree with you, Blacknomi. Sometimes both were possible.
    I would rather use "will" when both are possible

    Thanks all for your help,
    Dany

  2. #12
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: will / going to

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Hello, X Mode,

    Thanks for the detailed reply. I read over your last two sentences twice, and here's how I would think.

    EX:I think I'll choose Boston. (possibility)
    EX:I'll probably choose Boston. (possibility)
    EX:I'll choose Boston. (certainty)


    In this case, I wouldn't think that "will" indicates certainty because of the verb "I think" and the adverb "probably." Certainty applies when those hesitating words are left out in the context. But we always have to depend on the context to make a word choice.


    EX:Well (with a rising tone), I'll just stay at home. (certainty)
    EX:Well (with a robot tone), I'll just stay at home. (no hesitating words, but the robot tone implies 'maybe' or 'maybe not')




    Best Regards,
    Blacknomi
    I agree.


    I'll choose Boston. - This could be an announcement or a spontaneous decision. It depends.

    I think I might expect to hear something like this anway:

    I've decided on Boston. I've chosen Boston. - announcement

    I'll go with Boston. - spontaneous or seemingly spontaneous decision

  3. #13
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: will / going to

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red5
    So that there will(1) be minimal disruption, everyone will(2) be able to log in as usual with their current member names and passwords, and all old messages and discussions will(3) have been imported into the new system.


    1. Could be either one, predictions or announcements. Minimal disruption is unpredictable and who knows if the sofrware has its own mind.
    2. Announcements
    3. Announcements
    Yes, but I would just add one more thing.

    Number 2 and 3 could be thought of as certain predictions as well. (100% I guess - if we think we can quantify it)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Dany
    I am agree with you, Blacknomi. Sometimes both were possible.
    I would rather use "will" when both are possible
    Hi, Dany

    I'm not glad that you are agree with me.
    I agree with you that both are possible depending on the contexts we have.


    You're welcome.


    Best Regards,
    Blacknomi

  5. #15
    Dany's Avatar
    Dany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X mode

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Hi, Dany

    I'm not glad that you are agree with me.
    I agree with you that both are possible depending on the contexts we have.


    You're welcome.


    Best Regards,
    Blacknomi
    Why can't I say are agree. Is this never used, or does it mean something else? I'm so sorry

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: will / going to

    Nooooooooooooooo.


    Hi, Dany,

    No need to say sorry. Please take back your words. I was joking with you.


    Because "agree" is a verb, so it's not proper to joint a verb and a BE-verb without changing its form.


    I am agree. (Not Ok)
    I am agreeing. (Ok grammatically, but I've never heard of it.)
    I am dance. (Not OK)
    I am dancing. ( Sounds good, and I love it!)



    All the best,
    Blacknomi

  7. #17
    Dany's Avatar
    Dany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: will / going to

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Nooooooooooooooo.


    Hi, Dany,

    No need to say sorry. Please take back your words. I was joking with you.


    Because "agree" is a verb, so it's not proper to joint a verb and a BE-verb without changing its form.


    I am agree. (Not Ok)
    I am agreeing. (Ok grammatically, but I've never heard of it.)
    I am dance. (Not OK)
    I am dancing. ( Sounds good, and I love it!)



    All the best,
    Blacknomi
    Oh, I understand
    You are right. "I'm agreeing" I have also never heard. That's why I have not chosen the word. But I was sure, that I have to use "am". There are some differents, when I translate from the German to the English. In German I have to use "bin" (= am), without it, it doesn't take

    Kind regards,
    Dany

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Dany
    Why can't I say are agree. Is this never used, or does it mean something else? I'm so sorry
    You are agree. (Not OK; too many verbs)

    'are' is a verb and 'agree' is a verb, and there can be only one main verb per sentence, so delete 'are'.

    I agree. (OK)
    You agree (OK)
    I am in agreement with you. (OK)
    I agree with you. (OK)

    I'm agreeing with you. (OK, but it is said as you are speaking; that is, there can't be a gap in time. It has to be said as you are speaking, so as to show a progressive/continuous action at the time of speaking).

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: X mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I'm agreeing with you. (OK, but it is said as you are speaking; that is, there can't be a gap in time. It has to be said as you are speaking, so as to show a progressive/continuous action at the time of speaking).

    I've never thought that you have progressive agreeing in real life. When is the last time you said "I'm agreeing with you?" There's also no gap in time when I say "I agree with you."



    Yours,
    Blacknomi

  10. #20
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X mode

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi

    I've never thought that you have progressive agreeing in real life. When is the last time you said "I'm agreeing with you?" There's also no gap in time when I say "I agree with you."



    Yours,
    Blacknomi
    To me, if someone said, "I'm agreeing with you." it would be to emphasize agreement.

    Y - What do you mean that's not right?!?!

    Z - Hey, take it easy. You misunderstood what I said. I'm agreeing with you.

    I'm agreeing with you. - At this moment in particular, I agree with you, and I really want to let you know that.

    I think it would be more usual to say, "I agree with you." The progressive form would be used for emphasis.

    Maybe taking a look at some of the Google examples will help you understand why someone would say, "I'm agreeing with you."

    Do you have that thing set on Google that makes it so that you can highlight the words you searched for at a site? Do you know what I mean? You can find words easier that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •