zohreh_am is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down creative, interesting topics for MA thesis

hello, i want to choose a topic for my MA thesis , so i need some brillaint, creative and interesting ideas. what topics is interesting and easy to research?
    actually I wanna a topic for which I do no statistics and no calculation. I want to choose an easy, time-consuming topic. My field of study is Teaching English and I'm an MA student. e.g. is it good to investigate the influence of culture on the type of words which come to students mind after hearing or seeing a word, for instance , horse. I mean i want to research about when I tell the word e.g , horse to people from different cities in Iran with different cultures , what comes to their mind.
    is it a good idea?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: creative, interesting topics for MA thesis

Seems an excellent idea.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there enough cultural variation to show differences for terms like 'horse'?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: creative, interesting topics for MA thesis

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Is there enough cultural variation to show differences for terms like 'horse'?

wots ur suggestion for a better topic. interesting and a new field of inquiry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zohreh_am View Post
    wots ur suggestion for a better topic.What is your suggestion for a better topic, one that is interesting and a new field of inquiry?
    One way to find out if something is new is to do a search on Google Scholar and see if anything comes up. Personally I still rather like the idea of a study of the term "horse" in relation to cultural responses.

You still haven't answered Tdol's question.

Post Thanks / Like

hi, since Tdol asked whether there is enough cultural variation to show differences for terms like 'horse' I doubt , I dont know whether people in different cities in Iran would have enough variation in their culture to respond differently to a word like horse , u urself tell me plz the word that comes up to ur head when u see the word horse.
    how this topic can become a more interesting one . I think u can help me more cuz u urself r interested in this topic. In fact I want to research this topic as a comparison between the reponses of people from Tabriz( name of a city in Iran) and Kaleybar(a village near Tabriz) is there 2 places enough or I should investigate more than these 2 places with more cultural variations??

Post Thanks / Like

Please read Barb's post on this thread carefully: .http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-research.html

Unless you are prepared to make the effort to use proper forms in your posts, you will find people reluctant to offer help.

Sorry for this comment, but I am increasingly wondering if you are at a level to do the kind of research required for an MA thesis.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: creative, interesting topics for MA thesis

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Please read Barb's post on this thread carefully: .http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-research.html

Unless you are prepared to make the effort to use proper forms in your posts, you will find people reluctant to offer help.

Sorry for this comment, but I am increasingly wondering if you are at a level to do the kind of research required for an MA thesis.

excuse me , how u jumped into this conclusion? what can I do for it?

heidita is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Please do zohreh.

Quote Originally Posted by zohreh_am View Post
    Excuse me , how did you jump to this conclusion? What can I do about it?
    I personally think you have no intention to change, but just in case, please, have a look at the very simple forum rules:

1. Don't use 'chatlish'
      This is a forum for discussing the English language. There is no need to write formally, but this is not a chatroom, so please write normal English, with punctuation, capital letters and words written in full; use you not u, I not i, great not gr8, etc. Don't worry about making mistakes, which is normal when learning a language, but do please try to make your English easy to read.