Past Participle

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Views : 60,328
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

What is Past participle and where do we use this?
Can somebody tell me with example?

Lib

Member Type
English Teacher
The past participle is formed by adding '-ed' to the end of regular verbs: asked, walked, wanted. You have to learn the past participle of irregular verbs separately. If you have a list of irregular verbs, the past participle is the third column.
Now the use:
We use the past participle to form perfect tenses: have + participle.
I have never BEEN to Paris. The train had LEFT when I arrived.
Also in passive sentences: to be + participle.
Hamlet was WRITTEN by Shakespeare. My car has been STOLEN.

I found this, maybe it will help-

Past Participles usually are formed by adding ed to the verb base. The past participle of hunt is hunted. Past participles function in three ways.

example: Hunted by lions, the antelope scattered into the trees. The past participle hunted is part of a phrase that modifies antelope. It's an adjective.

example: The hunted antelope scattered into the trees. Here the past participle is a one-word adjective.

example: The lions have hunted antelope. The past participle hunted is part of the main verb (have hunted).

example: The antelope will be hunted. The past participle hunted can be considered part of a passive verb or an adjective (better to consider it part of the transitive passive verb will be hunted so that you recognize the transitive active verb).

example: The antelope that was hunted today was male. The dependent clause that was hunted today can be simplified to the past participle phrase hunted today: The antelope hunted today was male.

ABDALLA ALI

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Also we can use it as an adjective for example:he cut his clothes in the broken glass

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Also we can use it as an adjective for example:he cut his clothes on the broken glass
Yes, often the past participle is used as an adjective.

ABDALLA ALI

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
on????!!!!:?:

ABDALLA ALI

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
i am sorry it was a mistake

am1975

Member Type
Other
i wanna ask about the while

we use while with the past progressive,sometimes the verb we use in the other sentence either in the simple past form, or in the past progressive form, my question is how can we recognize the suitable form of the verb
example : While I was talking on the phone, someone stole my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.