Thread: need help

enydia is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need help

Hi, Teachers.

I think I failed in the IELTS speaking test last Sunday...

naomimalan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: need help

Cheer up Enydia - maybe you didn't. What makes you think that?

enydia is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    Cheer up Enydia - maybe you didn't. What makes you think that?
    Thank you, naomimalan.

I tried my best to find and organize words to express myself, but ignored pronunciation and grammar and something else. There must have been some errors and Chinglish in my speaking. :(

In a speaking test, you cannot revise what you have said easily, but it's hard for me to arrange everything, words and sentences and grammar and pronunciation, at the same time.

There are hundreds of topics in IELTS speaking test. Have I to prepare for all of them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Thank you, naomimalan.

I tried my best to find and organize words to express myself, but ignored pronunciation and grammar and something else. There must have been some errors and Chinglish in my speaking. :(

In a speaking test, you cannot revise what you have said easily, but it's hard for me to arrange everything, words and sentences and grammar and pronunciation, at the same time.

There are hundreds of topics in IELTS speaking test. Have I to prepare for all of them?
    Of course there were some errors in your speaking! If there hadn't been any, you wouldn't have needed to take the IELTS because you would have been a native speaker! The examiners expect there to be errors, it's only human.

I don't know much about this exam but I know quite a bit about students. Very often the over-confident ones are the ones who do badly; and the ones who are pessimistic about their performance are the ones who get the best results.

Moreover, as a past examiner myself (CFE), I know that very often the examiners are warned never to show the candidates whether they are impressed or unimpressed by their performance. The examiners must on all occasions maintain a neutral attitude.

Maybe you interpreted a neutral attitude as being proof of failure?

When do you get your results? I bet you'll get a pleasant surprise!

enydia is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    Of course there were some errors in your speaking! If there hadn't been any, you wouldn't have needed to take the IELTS because you would have been a native speaker! The examiners expect there to be errors, it's only human.

I don't know much about this exam but I know quite a bit about students. Very often the over-confident ones are the ones who do badly; and the ones who are pessimistic about their performance are the ones who get the best results.

Moreover, as a past examiner myself (CFE), I know that very often the examiners are warned never to show the candidates whether they are impressed or unimpressed by their performance. The examiners must on all occasions maintain a neutral attitude.

Maybe you interpreted a neutral attitude as being proof of failure?

When do you get your results? I bet you'll get a pleasant surprise!
    You win the bet.
    But I failed in writing, which is also a surprise.

I think my speaking could be better. How to improve my speaking in a condition withou any native speaker?

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! Good for you! My prediction was correct.

To keep up/improve your spoken English, you might want to sign up for online telephone conversations. You could take a look at:

Telephone English Lessons - Learn English Online @Live-English.net