MLY is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need sb to check my post about Community of Practice :)

Here is my post:

What is Cop
    As Wenger et al. (2002) state that CoP are “Groups of people who share a concern, a set of problems, or a passion about a topic, and who deepen their knowledge and expertise in this area by interacting on an ongoing basis”.(p.4)

Type of CoP
    I believe that there are different types of CoP for different purposes for examples there are Community of Interest, Task-based Community, Community of Learning and Knowledge-building Community.

How it helps people
    CoP teaches people how to develop themselves by provide high quality information to their goals. It keeps them up to date with different things such as technology, new virus, problem, etc. At the same time it helps them to be life long learners.

It also increases participants’ ability to be creative by sharing different ideas. As Wenger et al. (2002) stated that “They help each other solve problems, discuss their situations, their aspirations and their needs” (p.4) so when they focus on one problem that is related to their environment, they get different solutions in short time. These solutions came from their partners or different partners with different knowledge, career or place.

When or for what reason are CoP an effective way to learn
    People used to gain knowledge from books. However, nowadays people learn more from what others share like problems, ideas, opinions, experiences, etc. as Wenger, Snyder (2002) stated that “When person assess the value of a community of practice is by listening to members’ stories”.

Additionally, it is an effective way to learn as it motivate the participants intrinsically according to their learning style and it improve their knowledge and moving form one stage to another.

Explain how a CoP fits into the social learning theory
    According to Wenger et al. (2002) a community of practice is a part of a larger social learning system.
    “Communities of practice are the basic building blocks of a social learning system because they are the social ‘containers’ of the competences that make up such a system. (p. 225)

References

Wenger, E. C., & Snyder, W. M. (2000, January). Communities of Practice: The Organizational Frontier [PDF file]. Retrieved October 30, 2008, from Harvard Business Review Web site: http://www.stevens-tech.edu/cce/NEW/PDFs/commprac.pdf

Wenger, E., McDermott, R. A., & Snyder, W. (2002). Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge. Boston, Massachusetts: Harvard Business Press. Retrieved October 30, 2008, from Harvard Business Web site: http://books.google.ae/booksid=m1xZu..._pages&cad=0_1

Thanks

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need sb to check my post about Community of Practice :)

Type of CoP- the lists a few types but does not explain the purposes. I am no0t sure what the conastraints of words are, if any, but a few of your paragraphs are just topic sentences with little subsequent development. It's nmot my subject area, but I find the final quote of Wenger a bit unconvincing as an explanation; it doesn't actually map it into the larger social learning system or explain how this happens IMO.

CoP- I would use the words qwith the acronym in brackets the first time you use the term in the text. Also be consistent with your use iof articles with the word- What is Cop & Explain how a CoP fits. Check for singular and plural use - When or for what reason are CoP - it should be CoPs.
    CoP teaches people how to develop themselves by provide high quality information to their goals.- All of them?

MLY is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need sb to check my post about Community of Practice :)

Thank you for your reply, I considered your comments and made some changes.