Thread: batting 0 for 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default batting 0 for 2

The following is part of what Kerry said during the second debate with Bush. Could you tell me what "you're batting 0 for 2" in the context? Thanks.

KERRY: Yes, I think we should look at the punitive and we should have some limitations.
    But look, what's really important, Charlie, is the president is just trying to scare everybody here with throwing labels around. I mean, "compassionate conservative," what does that mean? Cutting 500,000 kids from after-school programs, cutting 365,000 kids from health care, running up the biggest deficits in American history.

Mr. President, you're batting 0 for 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: batting 0 for 2

In baseball, if the pitcher throws a ball, and the batter misses the pitch, or fails to hit the ball, the ball is counted as a strike. If the pitcher throws another ball, and the same thing happens, that ball is counted as a strike. At that point in the game, the batter is batting 0 of 2: two balls were thrown, and zero balls were struck. If the batter misses the next pitch, s/he is out of the game.

'batting 0 for 2' is in reference to President Bush being one strike away from being out of the Presidency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    In baseball, if the pitcher throws a ball, and the batter misses the pitch, or fails to hit the ball, the ball is counted as a strike. If the pitcher throws another ball, and the same thing happens, that ball is counted as a strike. At that point in the game, the batter is batting 0 of 2: two balls were thrown, and zero balls were struck. If the batter misses the next pitch, s/he is out of the game.

'batting 0 for 2' is in reference to President Bush being one strike away from being out of the Presidency.
    So, Cas, he meant that President Bush had done such a bad job(running up the biggest deficits in history, etc) that Bush would be likely to be re-elected? (That's how I understand "being out of the Presidency")

Post Thanks / Like

That's correct.