Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,538
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    my bicycle being stolen

    My bicycle being stolen last week, I bought a new one today.

    I thought in written English we should say 'My bicycle stolen/having been stolen last week, I bought a new one today.' Am I right?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by joham; 10-Nov-2008 at 09:21. Reason: a word repladed.


    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 118
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: my bicycle being stolen

    (Not a teacher)

    Joham,

    I would say: my bicycle having been stolen last week, I bought a new one today.

    GF

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,538
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: my bicycle being stolen

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Forbes View Post
    (Not a teacher)

    Joham,

    I would say: my bicycle having been stolen last week, I bought a new one today.

    GF
    Thank you for your trouble,Greg. Then can we say 'My bicycle stolen last week, I bought a new one today.'?

    Thank you again.

  1. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: my bicycle being stolen

    No. It is a passive voice.
    Because my bicycle was stolen last week, I bought a new one today.
    My bicycle being stolen last week,.........

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,538
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: my bicycle being stolen

    Quote Originally Posted by whitemoon View Post
    No. It is a passive voice.
    Because my bicycle was stolen last week, I bought a new one today.
    My bicycle being stolen last week,.........
    But I found this sentence in the Corpus of contemporary American English:
    Dengar could see a few more of Jabba's bodyguards, facedown on the hot sand , their weapons stolen by scavenging Jawas.

    What I'd like to know is whether we can use both 'my bicycle having been stolen' and 'my bicycle stolen'.

    Might I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.

  2. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: my bicycle being stolen

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    But I found this sentence in the Corpus of contemporary American English:
    Dengar could see a few more of Jabba's bodyguards, facedown on the hot sand , their weapons stolen by scavenging Jawas.

    What I'd like to know is whether we can use both 'my bicycle having been stolen' and 'my bicycle stolen'.

    Might I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.
    I have already answered in your post “being done”. I cannot answer your question, but I’d like to share:
    Passive participle
    The participle can be used with or without auxiliary participle. This happens in fairly formal English, and in narratives:
    Having been released from prison (=when he had been released from prison), he went back into the community and immediately re-offended.
    Preserved in a sodium solution (=Because the eggs had been preserved in a sodium solution), the eggs would last us through the winter.
    This is from “Times-Chambers; English Grammar and Usage”. According to this, if the two subjects are same, we can use both “Having been preserved” and “preserved” in the above sentence. Unless the two subjects are same, I can’t say. If you believe the book you refer to, you can use, I think.


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: my bicycle being stolen

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    My bicycle being stolen last week, I bought a new one today.

    I thought in written English we should say 'My bicycle stolen/having been stolen last week, I bought a new one today.' Am I right?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.
    You are right. It should be, My bicycle having been stolen last week etc.

Similar Threads

  1. Purchaser of stolen goods
    By Kel in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-May-2008, 19:43
  2. stolen out
    By thomasRavenelli in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2007, 08:09
  3. John tumbled off a bicycle.
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2007, 04:50
  4. fish with bicycle
    By Romel Panzer in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2007, 09:36
  5. riding bicycle
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-May-2007, 08:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •