Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    melon is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Turn right in (or by) the barber shop

    Hi all,
    I know the sentence "turn right in the corner" is correct, but I am confusing if we use "turn right in the barber shop" or "turn right by the barber shop"? Please help. Thank you

  2. #2
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: Turn right in (or by) the barber shop

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Hi all,
    I know the sentence "turn right in the corner" is correct, but I am confusing if we use "turn right in the barber shop" or "turn right by the barber shop"? Please help. Thank you
    I think "turn right on the corner" is more appropriate. You can say "turn right in the barber shop", here 'in' indicates inside the barbar shop.

  3. #3
    melon is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Turn right in (or by) the barber shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Manas Ranjan Mallick View Post
    I think "turn right on the corner" is more appropriate. You can say "turn right in the barber shop", here 'in' indicates inside the barbar shop.
    Thanks Manas. I made a mistake: I think we should say "Turn right at the corner". The question is:

    To go to the bus station, you turn right (on/at/by) the barber shop.

    From my understanding: there might have some corners near by and they ask us to turn right at the corner which the barber shop is located. My confusion is: if we use "turn right at the barber shop", it seems that we turn into the barber shop. So I think we should use "turn right by the barber shop". Is that correct?

  4. #4
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: Turn right in (or by) the barber shop

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Thanks Manas. I made a mistake: I think we should say "Turn right at the corner". The question is:

    To go to the bus station, you turn right (on/at/by) the barber shop.

    From my understanding: there might have some corners near by and they ask us to turn right at the corner which the barber shop is located. My confusion is: if we use "turn right at the barber shop", it seems that we turn into the barber shop. So I think we should use "turn right by the barber shop". Is that correct?
    No, "turn right at the barber shop" is right. "At" is used to locate a particular spot where you should turn right. Here the particular spot is 'the barber shop'.

Similar Threads

  1. Turn up/down the air conditioner?
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2008, 10:45
  2. Animals shop or Animal's shop?
    By Sunbeam in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2007, 20:42
  3. turn, turn, turn
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2007, 19:16
  4. Fine Musical Instrument(s) Shop
    By englishstudent in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2006, 15:00
  5. "When do you know the shop is closed?"
    By sula54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-Oct-2005, 13:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •