the word meaning of 'bot'

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 75,502
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

i saw somebody say 'bot' in an on-line chatting room. What does it mean by that word? is it a offensive word or something? or is it a newly- created one?
is it used often among the natives?

N

Natalie27

Unregistered said:
i saw somebody say 'bot' in an on-line chatting room. What does it mean by that word? is it a offensive word or something? or is it a newly- created one?
is it used often among the natives?
Are you sure it wasn't "bod"?
I don't know about "bot" but "bod" is short for "body" (n) and quite often a nice looking body too...or it can also be an abbreviation of the word "bodacious" (adj).
Young men will often say "that chick has got a great bod" it means she has a great body (usually implying large breasts).
Nothing offensive...just someone with an outstanding body!:lol:

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
'Bot', when used online, usually refers to an automatic script. A 'chatbot' is a prewritten script that enables one to chat to a computer, rather than another person.

Chat with one here.

A 'spambot' is a script that automatically sends out 'spam' emails.

Hope that helps! :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Presumablyfrom 'robot'. ;-)

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
tdol said:
Presumablyfrom 'robot'. ;-)
bot[size=-1]2[/size] ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (b
obreve.gif
t)
n.
A software program that imitates the behavior of a human, as by querying search engines or participating in chatroom or IRC discussions.

yesmaster777

Member Type
Student or Learner
I too was on a Chatline and the word "BOT" was used. They were saying things like "Kill the BOT". I looked up the profile to a couple of the Chat People using this "BOT" word, and discovered they were Satanist's. This leads me to believe the word "BOT" in the context they were using it may have soem secret Satanic Meaning. If anyone knows why Satanist's use the word "BOT" please let us know ?

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Since many of us feel that Satanists must be behind all these nasty spam messages sent out by bot systems and ending in our email inboxes, the answer may be yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.