• Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default proper noun + specifying noun

Dear all,
    I would like to know whether we need to put the definite article in front of a proper noun followed by another noun that does not make part of its name, such as:
    the Excellence project (article+title+specifying noun)
    the Microsoft Word application
    the Mirogoj cemetary.. etc.
    Furthermore, what about the word order? Can we say both the application MW and the MW application (or the company Coca-Cola and the Coca-Cola company) or not? Is there a rule for that?
    Thanks a lot :)

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: proper noun + specifying noun

Quote Originally Posted by bambusst View Post
    Dear all,
    I would like to know whether we need to put the definite article in front of a proper noun followed by another noun that does not make part of its name, such as:
    the Excellence project (article+title+specifying noun)
    the Microsoft Word application
    the Mirogoj cemetary.. etc.
    Furthermore, what about the word order? Can we say both the application MW and the MW application (or the company Coca-Cola and the Coca-Cola company) or not? Is there a rule for that?
    Thanks a lot :)
    The rules governing the choice/absence of article are the same as they would have been without the interposition of the proper name:

Excellence-project deliverables
    the Excellence project
    an Excellence project ( - I thought long and hard about this one; but in the case where Excellence is, for example, a software tool - like MS Project - it would be possible to say things like 'When starting work on a new project, the Project Leader should always set up an Excellence project...').

As to word order, I don't know of any rule (though that is far from saying that there isn't one, as long-time readers will know ). I would accept both 'an MS Word application' and 'the application MS Word' (although they would have different meanings:

• an MS Word application would be one written with MS Word (documents written with it would share certain boilerplate characteristics, document properties, change control settings, fixed formats, validating inputs, and so on - I used to work with a QA Manager who was always saying thing like 'I could write an MS Word application to do that')
    • the MS Word application is just a part of the MS Office suite of programs.

'Coca Cola company' would usually be in that order, though punctuation would make 'the company, Coca Cola' acceptable. I'd think that "[<article>] + <proper name> + <noun> was usually a safe bet, but other teachers may know better.

b

bambusst is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    The rules governing the choice/absence of article are the same as they would have been without the interposition of the proper name:

Excellence-project deliverables
    the Excellence project
    an Excellence project ( - I thought long and hard about this one; but in the case where Excellence is, for example, a software tool - like MS Project - it would be possible to say things like 'When starting work on a new project, the Project Leader should always set up an Excellence project...').

As to word order, I don't know of any rule (though that is far from saying that there isn't one, as long-time readers will know ). I would accept both 'an MS Word application' and 'the application MS Word' (although they would have different meanings:

• an MS Word application would be one written with MS Word (documents written with it would share certain boilerplate characteristics, document properties, change control settings, fixed formats, validating inputs, and so on - I used to work with a QA Manager who was always saying thing like 'I could write an MS Word application to do that')
    • the MS Word application is just a part of the MS Office suite of programs.

'Coca Cola company' would usually be in that order, though punctuation would make 'the company, Coca Cola' acceptable. I'd think that "[<article>] + <proper name> + <noun> was usually a safe bet, but other teachers may know better.

b
    Dear BobK,
    thank you very much.. That was really fast :)
    Just another question - Coca Cola company goes without the definite article?
    Thanks again!

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bambusst View Post
    Dear BobK,
    thank you very much.. That was really fast :)
    Just another question - Coca Cola company goes without the definite article?
    Thanks again!
    I've seen it with and without. I have a feeling that the official registered name is without, but in most ordinary contexts (I mean conversations between people who aren't Copyright Lawyers!) people use 'the'.

And you're welcome. (One of the good things about this forum is that at least one teacher will usually be on-line around the clock - not the same one, of course)

b