• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bonus features set up

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to help me to make sense of the following expression “bonus features set up”? I have seen the expression in question on my screen recently to my great amazement.

I know the meaning of the detached members of the expression in question but I run into heavy weather by the interpretation of the whole expression.

bonus = something extra; something given or paid in addition to what is usual or expected; An unexpected benefit occurring as the result of making a particular action.

feature (n) = an intended property or behavior (as of a program); a property or behavior that is gratuitous or unnecessary, though perhaps also impressive or cute.

set up = assemble, erect, make ready for use

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Reemy is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Jordan
      • Current Location:
      • Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: bonus features set up

That’s how I understand it,
    The set up of bonus features= the arrangement/organization of bonus qualities.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: bonus features set up

A DVD will have the main feature - the movie. A 'bonus feature' refers to some additional material, such as a behind-the scenes, "The Making of Titanic" documentary. Other material on a disc can be a director's commentary which plays during the running of the main movie, over the actual dialogue (which is then played at a reduced volume so that you can hear the director clearly).

However, this needs to be accessed, 'turned on', because you don't want it to be playing when you first watch the movie; and you also have to decide what language you want the dialogue in (often you have quite a choice!); and also, whether or not you want the subtitles showing at the bottom of the screen.
    Turning on these aspects (language and subtitles) is what is being referred to by 'set up' - you are setting up the DVD so that when it plays the movie, or some bonus feature, it does so in the language of your choice, has subtitles or not, and whether you want the director's commentary playing or not.