Hi there,

i'm currently applying for a CELTA course at my local college and feeling a little bit unconfident with my answers to the pre-course tasks.

On my application form it asks me to state why i think i am ready to undertake the CELTA course. My answer for that question was as follows:

Teaching English and meeting people from all over the world is my passion in life and something I’ve always wanted to do. Teaching my native language in a foreign country would be a dream come true for me.

I feel I’m at the right age in my life now where I know what I want from life and where I want to go in my life. English has always been my favourite subject and I would feel proud and honoured if I could teach my native language to foreign students as there second language.

I’d certainly put all my effort into the course and work my most hardest to gain the qualifications I need to help take me one step closer to desired career path.

(So is that a good enough answer of if not what kind of thing should i be saying?)

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................

Secondly i'm given the following task and these are the answers i've given. Please tell me if my answers are good enough or not.

What problems do you think students of English might have with the language indicated below? Please use the spaces provided.

1. “ The Prime Minister has left the country.”

“ I enjoy living in the country.”
The differences between the 2 sentences are that in the first one ‘the country’ is meant as a nation for example the USA is a whole country. However in the second sentence ’the country’ is meant as a particular section or rural area of that particular nation.

2. “ My brother’s a photographer.”

“ I’m doing a photography course.”

“ She has a photographic memory.”
The pronunciation of all 3 words are different even though they are all spelt with photograph and they also have 3 different meanings.

3.“I bought a camera before I went through customs.”

The words bought and through are spelt in a very similar ways although they are pronounced completely different. For example ‘bought’ rhymes with ‘coat’ and ‘through’ rhymes with ‘shoe’

4. “I look forward to meeting you.”

“I’m looking forward to meeting you.”

“Looking forward to meeting you.”

The biggest differences with these 3 sentences is the time in which the person would meet. The first sentence would be an unplanned meeting, the second sentence would be a definite meeting in the near future and the third sentence would be a meeting that would take place very soon.

(Please do let me know your thoughts on my answers and any help or advice would be very much appreciated!)