Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: In / On

Natalie27 Guest

Re: In / On

I was just thinking Jack about this on/in this aisle thing and I have to say I think it can be both. However, if it's about a person ( like in Casiopea's example) I would say "in".

ex.

My husband is in aisle 18 = meaning he is there/standing/shopping there.
    If you say "My husband's on aisle 18" I would think you want to sell him and he is one of the items for sale. ( come to think of it, it sounds like an idea ... )

Now, when it comes to merchandise, I think it can be both on or in.

Ex. Where do I find my favorite jalepeno pickles?
    They are on aisle 14.
    All pickles are in aisle 14.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for adding to it.

Natalie27 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Thanks for adding to it.
    You are welcome. I hope I am right on that one. My brain is swimming from thinking about shopping aisles.

Post Thanks / Like

Are these correct? What do these mean?
    1. Iím going to save my files to a folder.
    2. I'm going to save my files Into a folder.
    3. I'm going to save my files in a folder. (Is this short for 'into'? For this sentence, it can be either 'in' or 'into' right?

3. I'm going to save my files onto a folder.
    4. I'm going to save my files on a foler. (Is this short for 'onto'? For this sentence, it can be either 'on' or 'onto' right?
    5. I'm going to save my files at a folder.

6. Would you like to donate five dollars for (a) charity? (Isn't 'charity' countable? How come I don't need the determiner? If I the determiner, si it correct? What does it mean? If I don't use the determiner, does it mean it is nout countable?)
    7. Would you like to donate five dollars to (a)charity? (If this is incorrect, why? I can say this 'I am going to a mall.'?)

8. It is to charity.
    9. It is for charity.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Iím going to save my files to a folder. (OK)
    2. I'm going to save my files Into a folder. (OK, but 'into' expresses movement towards; e.g., get into a car)
    3. I'm going to save my files in a folder. (OK. 'in' is short for inside)
    3. I'm going to save my files onto a folder. (OK. Here 'onto' means, transfer; i.e., movement on towards.)
    4. I'm going to save my files on a folder. (Odd. 'on' is short for on top of; files are saved inside a folder, not on top of a folder)
    5. I'm going to save my files at a folder. (Not OK. 'at' refers to a general point in space. A folder is specific, and the inside of the folder is even more specific.

6. Would you like to donate five dollars for (a) charity? (OK. 'for' means, for the benefit of (any) charity.)

7. Would you like to donate five dollars to (a) charity? (OK. 'to' means, towards (any) charity. Note, without 'a', charity is general.

7a. 'I am going to a mall.' (OK. The specific mall that you're going to is not stated by you. You are being vague, and possibly because you haven't yet decided what mall you'll be going to.)

8. It is to charity. (going towards charity)
    9. It is for charity. (for the benefit of charity)

Post Thanks / Like

If I mean computer files, what do these mean?

3. I'm going to save my files onto a folder. (OK. Here 'onto' means, transfer; i.e., movement on towards.)
    4. I'm going to save my files on a folder. (Odd. 'on' is short for on top of; files are saved inside a folder, not on top of a folder)

Is this correct, when I mean computer files?
    5. I'm going to save my files at a folder. (Not OK. 'at' refers to a general point in space. A folder is specific, and the inside of the folder is even more specific.

What do these mean?
    6. If I mean computer files, what do these mean? (present,present =right now?)
    7. If I meant computer files, what did these mean? (Past, Past. =imaginary?)

8. If I mean computer files, what did these mean? (If I mean computer files right now, what did these mean (Does 'did' mean 'imaginary'?)
    9. If I meant computer files, what do these mean? (Past, Present. Meant=imaginary? Do=right now?)

10. It is to charity. (going towards charity. So 'to' does not mean 'to' right? As in this: 'You need to go to the mall.'; where after 'to' you have to use the base word?)

Natalie27 Guest

3. I'm going to save my files onto a folder. (OK. Here 'onto' means, transfer; i.e., movement on towards.)I would use INTO a folder but if you say onto then it suggests a drag and drop movement....something that goes ON TOP. It's done a lot with computer files.

4. I'm going to save my files on a folder. (Odd. 'on' is short for on top of; files are saved inside a folder, not on top of a folder) I would say "into" or "in".

Is this correct, when I mean computer files?

Casiopea has already mentioned that one as well....it doesn't sound right. IN a folder.

What do these mean?
    6. If I mean computer files, what do these mean? (present,present =right now?)
    7. If I meant computer files, what did these mean? (Past, Past. =imaginary?)

8. If I mean computer files, what did these mean? (If I mean computer files right now, what did these mean (Does 'did' mean 'imaginary'?)
    9. If I meant computer files, what do these mean? (Past, Present. Meant=imaginary? Do=right now?)

10. It is to charity. (going towards charity. So 'to' does not mean 'to' right? As in this: 'You need to go to the mall.'; where after 'to' you have to use the base word?)
    I am sorry, I am getting confused here with the rest of your questions

Post Thanks / Like

I mean what if they are 'computer files' not 'files' as in paper work. Do they have the same meaning?

Natalie27 Guest

I mean what if they are 'computer files' not 'files' as in paper work. Do they have the same meaning?
    Files are files...the same information can be stored digitally in the computer or it can be written on paper.
    Last edited by Natalie27; 16-Nov-2004 at 22:52.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

5. I'm going to save my files at a folder. (How come this sounds okay? So no matter what, this is wrong? Doesn't 'at a' mean a specific location?)
    1. I'm going to park my car at this place. (Why is this correct?)

( for the benefit of (any) charity.)
    How come it isn't 'any charities'? Isn't 'charity' a count noun? Or 'one' is omitted? 'for the benefit of any (one) charity'.
    Last edited by jack; 17-Nov-2004 at 07:23.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast