Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation The Dangers of Indifference - Correction?

The Dangers of Indifference

Indifference is silent and undetectable until it is provoked, explodes, then is no more. Anger and hatred on the other hand express the acknowledgement of an individual’s agony. A century ago, millions of people experienced the bitterness of indifference; for instance, the genocide in Rwanda: only four hundred UN peacekeepers were there to protect thousands of Tutsis. Everyone in the Western world just blindly looked away. Today’s genocide in Sudan is still going on. Has anybody taken it seriously in Canada? The answer is no. This is why thousands of Sudanese suffered and died. Therefore, indifference is more hideous than anger and hatred because it has an indirect impact on both individuals and society.
    Indifference has the greatest indirect impact on individuals. Many people consider that anger and hatred are the worst human attributes. The truth is that indifference is an even worse human attribute because it has no emotion, no expression and no response. In Elie Wiesel’s “Peril of Indifference”, Wiesel states, “Anger can be creative. One writes a great poem, a great symphony…But indifference is never creative. Even hatred at times may elicit a response. You fight it. You denounce it. You disarm it...Indifference is not a response.” (Wiesel, 2). As a result, indifference is more frightful than anger and hatred because it does not give victims a chance to express themselves. Then they will feel abandoned and forgotten. In addition, many people also believe that anger and hatred are the utmost symbol of evilness. Although many people believe so, indifference can even lead good people to do nothing in the face of evil. In Hotel Rwanda, the cameraman makes it clear to Paul that people in the Western world would apathetically watch the news and move on with their lives. Being indifferent is therefore more severe than people who hate and angry because it also leads good people in the Western world to do nothing to stop the horrific atrocities
    Moreover, indifference has the greatest indirect impact on society. One may firmly believe that anger and hatred cause the most violence in this world. No, that is certainly not true. Indifference can reveal the cruelty of a society in an indirect way of by supporting evil. In Wiesel’s “The Perils of Indifference”, Wiesel describes, “…Wrapped in their torn blankets…staring vacantly into space…They no longer felt pain, hunger, thirst…They felt nothing” (Wiesel, 2). An indifferent society does nothing to prevent atrocities such as the Holocaust and the Rwandan genocide. This will only lead to unimaginable disaster. Hence, indifference is more dreadful than anger and hatred. Furthermore, one may also firmly believe anger and hatred are major causes which will affect international relationship. They are not as austere as indifference. If a society does not care about the countries that are engaged in war, then it will eventually drive that society into isolationism. In Hotel Rwanda, an UN official’s haunting speech tells Paul that no one cares about his poor and black country. This only makes a society feel as if it is not a part of the world. Thus, an indifferent society is more inhumane than an angry and hateful society.
    Anger and hatred, overall, are not the worst human attributes, but indifference is. Indifference is an undetectable bomb which will explode at anytime or anywhere. Hence, it is more dangerous than anger and hatred. If everyone becomes apathetic, there will be more atrocities. If nobody stands up for victims, then the victims will continue to be hurt and brutalized. A society should never turn its back on the countries that are involved in war. It should build more organizations such as a genocide education and prevention organization in order to raise the awareness of the dangers of indifference.

Please help this is serious!
    Last edited by MrPedantic; 12-Nov-2008 at 23:42. Reason: To mark passages for attention

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Dangers of Indifference - Correction?

Hugs -

Take another look at your very first sentence!

It does not match the theme or your position in your paper.

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: The Dangers of Indifference - Correction?

Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    Hugs -

Take another look at your very first sentence!

It does not match the theme or your position in your paper.
    Why not?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Hello H&K,

I've emboldened some parts that (to my mind) might need some attention.

(I too find the first sentence problematical: in the context of the essay, it's not quite clear what "until it is provoked, explodes, then is no more" means.)

Best wishes,

MrP
    ·
    Not a professional ESL teacher.
    ·

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    Hello H&K,

I've emboldened some parts that (to my mind) might need some attention.

(I too find the first sentence problematical: in the context of the essay, it's not quite clear what "until it is provoked, explodes, then is no more" means.)

Best wishes,

MrP
    Hey, what do you think about my ideas? Are they clear to you?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Hello H&K,

I may have misunderstood; but the essay seems to imply that indifference may lead to the absence of action where action is required; that indifference is therefore worse than hatred, even though hatred may lead to actions that are thought of as "evil".

However, there seems to be a kind of paradox here: indifference is presumably sometimes indifference to those "evil" actions (e.g. the "horrific atrocities").

So you're saying that failure to act to resolve a problem is somehow "worse" than creating that problem in the first place.

Best wishes,

MrP
    ·
    ·

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: The Dangers of Indifference - Correction?

Hello H&K,

I may have misunderstood; but the essay seems to imply that indifference may lead to the absence of action where action is required; that indifference is therefore worse than hatred, even though hatred may lead to actions that are thought of as "evil".

However, there seems to be a kind of paradox here: indifference is presumably sometimes indifference to those "evil" actions (e.g. the "horrific atrocities").

So you're saying that failure to act to resolve a problem is somehow "worse" than creating that problem in the first place.

Best wishes,

MrP
    So if this essay is out of 100%, what should I get?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's difficult to say, without knowing the circumstances of the course; but if the essay is to be judged as an exercise in writing English, I should think you would get quite a high mark.

Let me rashly predict 79%. (But note my signature.)

Best wishes,

MrP
    ·
    ·

• Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's difficult to say, without knowing the circumstances of the course; but if the essay is to be judged as an exercise in writing English, I should think you would get quite a high mark.

Let me rashly predict 79%. (But note my signature.)

Best wishes,

MrP
    My teahcer only gave me a 60% on this. I think she's bit bias.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I would give the grammer and sentence structure an 80%; but the continuity and writing style and knowledge of material would be a 25%.

The essay is bumpy and reads like parts of it are copied from sources. It contradicts itself and lacks a clear definition of the main topic. I would give the essay back to you and ask you to re-write it.

But I am not a teacher, so you lucked out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast