Russiansu is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please check my Application

Hello, I am third year student and I want to apply for a traineeship at Playlogic (game company), I have written an application letter and was hoping if you could help me fix any errors and give me some tips.

Concerns: request for traineeship

City, 13 november 2008

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is MYNAME and I am a third year student at Avans University of Professional Education (Communication & Multimedia Design). The reason why I am writing this letter is because I am interested to obtain a traineeship at Playlogic.
    My specialization is Creative Technology, what means that I am working with all sort of technologies available, from web development like PHP, HTML, JavaScript to design using adobe tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere. Besides my specialization as a Creative Technologist I also have knowledge of psychology, usability and audio design.

I am looking for a traineeship involving games, working in teams and flexibility. I am very excited about developing and testing RPG (Role Playing Games) for the PC and various consoles. During high school I was very involved in MMORPGs like Lineage 2 (from the makers of NCSoft). I helped running private servers with over 1000 players and have been running an IRC channel for support. I always had a passion for MMORPGs and RPGs, and the concept of those genres astonished me and changed my life as it is today. MMORPGs and RPGs are in my opinion the genres of the future, which will grow in popularity without a stop . Working for a company making MORPG and RPG games has always been my dream. Developing and bringing astonishing games on the market is the best thing that could ever happen.

The period I am able to follow the traineeship will be during five months, from February to end June.

I hope that I gave you enough information and that you would give me a chance to explain myself in person.

Yours faithfully,

Name Surname
    Student AMUX, Communication & Multimedia Design, Creative Technology.
    Thanks in advance.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please check my Application

It basically looks fine.
    However, make an effort to find out the name of the person to write to. Personally addressed letters will get more attention than open letters.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I have one more question.
    Is this the right way to write an email to the company?
    Dear Sir/Madam,
    Hereby I am offering my application by means of e-mail: motivation and CV are attached.

If there are any questions, I can be contacted at this email address or by the information which is to be found in my CV.

Yours faithfully,

MyName

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

It's very uninformative. Are you applying out of the blue or to an advertisement? Whichever, you should give the person some idea of why you are contacting them.

And again, find out a name and address that person directly. Cold email applications will not be very welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you