Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the poper meaning of the term in bold in the following sentence from an IHT’s article?

“Life for the newly chosen president and his family has changed forever. Even the constraints and security of the campaign trail do not compare with the bubble that has enveloped him in the 11 days since he was elected.”

I know a suitable for the present case meaning, namely “bubble” (n) = “a protective, often isolating envelope or cover”, as in:

“The Secret Service will talk of tightening protection, but no President wants to live in a bubble”

I have to announce that in my native language we use the term “cocoon” in the present case which in my humble opinion gives a true description of the situation in question and sounds more plausible than yours.

cocoon (n) = 1. a protective case of silk or similar fibrous material spun by the larvae of moths and other insects that serves as a covering for their pupal stage.
2. a protective plastic coating that is placed over stored military or naval equipment.

to cocoon = to envelop in or as if in a cocoon, as for protection from a harsh or unfriendly environment

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.