• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default English Grammar Book and help for reading comprehension.

Dear Teachers and Fellow Members,

I have been preparing for an exam called GMAT. It basically has 3 sections: Sentence Correction, Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning.

For Sentence Correction, One is required to be good at many aspects of English Grammar. The test basically tests at nuances of the English Grammar. For example It can test for an appropriate preposition at a place in the sentence that is quite confusing, or it can even test for appropriate verb tense of the sentence. So I finally decided to get a very good Grammar book that will give me a greater chance to crack questions with high probability.

I would be grateful if someone please guide me in choosing a grammar book that has holistic coverage about variety of aspects and also subtleties of the grammar aspects?

Also kindly help me in improving the reading speed with good retention?

Any help is gratefully appreciated.. Thanks so much in advance

Kiran

kiranlegend is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: English Grammar Book and help for reading comprehension.

Any suggestions, please?:)

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Swan: BookBrain.co.uk - The smartest way to buy books on the web

As for reading speed/ retention, there's no substitute for practice. Sorry, I've no experience with GMAT; but your teacher should be able to help you with practice exercises.

b

Post Thanks / Like

I just took the GMAT last month and scored roughly 90% on the verbal section and a 6.0 on the writing. I used a book called Sentence Correction by Manhattan GMAT. I also bought the GMAT book from the company that administrators the test. I found these two books to be very helpful.

The Manhattan GMAT looks is basically a review guide that goes through the different grammar on the GMAT and what will be tested. It also has question/answer sections and mini tests with explanations. Additionally, there is a comprehensive list of idioms that often appear on the GMAT in the back of the book.

The Original Guide (or OC as its often referred to) has about 400 verbal questions with detailed explanations.

The writing is a very different animal and depending on what you are having trouble with. Let me know if you have specific questions on the writing section and I will try to answer them.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your test!

centrc