Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Divinised"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Divinised"?

Hi,

As you have asked me to quote the sentence where the word "Deivinised" appeared. I will give you the paraphrasing of it as I don't have the origin book. The auther says that some communities divinised monarchs, others placed them in a relationship with divinity, and the other made them representative of a God or of the grace of God.
    I hope this will be usefull.
    Thanks.

TheMadBaron Guest

It is. Your teacher was right. The author means "to be held as being divine or a Deity." A better word would be 'Deified'.

Post Thanks / Like

So as I understood the word "divinised" is wrong, and that I have to quot it followed with the word [sic], am I right?

I may be slow to understand, sorry

TheMadBaron Guest

I think you're right. The word divinised is, at best, very unusual. If you have to quote it, following it with [sic] is a very good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Latoof
    Hi,

As you have asked me to quote the sentence where the word "Deivinised" appeared. I will give you the paraphrasing of it as I don't have the origin book. The auther says that some communities divinised monarchs, others placed them in a relationship with divinity, and the other made them representative of a God or of the grace of God.
    I hope this will be usefull.
    Thanks.
    divinised, note the -s-, is commonly spelled divinized, with -z. If you look up that spelling, you'll find that dictionaries do in fact list it as a word. As for what it means, please read below:

The explanation of the meaning of the words, "man becomes divinized, is given the grace to become God" (Catechism 398) is actually present in the sentence, though it might not be immediately apparently to those not familiar with the nuances of Catholic theology. By this is not meant that the very nature of man, human nature in general, somehow ceases to be human and becomes the nature of God but rather that it receives a share in the divine life (as indicated by the term "participation") in such a way that it acquires a God-like quality "without ever ceasing to be creature" . This is what the various saints and mystics call the process of "deification" or transformation which occurs through the activity of divine grace secured for us through the saving merits of Christ and principally communicated in and through the sacraments and, as I have tried to show in this article, most fully through the Eucharist.

Read more here: http://www.consecration.com/response.html

Natalie27 Guest

very interesting, Cassy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12