Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to make my spoken English more fluent?

I am a university student and I have learned English for a few years.
    I have learned thousands of words by heart, but I just do not know how to express myself.
    When talking with foreigners I often felt that I can not make myself fully understood.
    Need for help.
    Thank you!

Neurotica Guest

Default Re: How to make my spoken English more fluent?

Hi there...

Practice... Talk english just about anywhere. Listen to 'english' songs and try being the chorus. Watch English movies and try not to play it too hard on the rewind though. That should help you.

Regards,

Neurotica

Post Thanks / Like

I am very thankful to you for your advice.

isaaclondon Guest

Cool Re: How to make my spoken English more fluent?

Well, I know what worked for me:

Talking!

I came to London 2 years ago.
    I thought my level was quite good until I arrived here.

I couldn't understand most of the people!

Hindu, Scottish, South African, American...and then English people were the worst of all!

So, what helped me? Just talking to them. living with them, listening to them every single minute of the day. From work, to cooking together in the kitchen of our flat, anything counts.

The more interesting is the people around you, the more important is for you to be understood, so you'll work harder (unconsciously).

And you are studying 24/7!

If you go to classes, or you do some homeworkl, you may spend 3 or 4 hours a week stuying, but if you are surrounded by english speakers, you study 24/7.

My brief advice?

Live with english-speaking people, go shopping with them, go clubbing with them, etc.

Neurotica Guest

Exclamation Re: How to make my spoken English more fluent?

Hi there...

That could do it too, if everyone can afford a ticket to the US and sticking around english-speaking people can also make the learner learn slang which isn't that proper.

Regards,

Neurotica

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: How to make my spoken English more fluent?

hi every body actually i read about this problem. first of all, i was the same suffering from this problem, speacially because i have an American student in my calss and most of the teacher liked talking with her because she was native speaker. that what incouraged me to improve my English speaking. her you are what i made: i kept speaking in front of my mirore every day talking about any thing that come to my mind and expresse my opinion about any political matter speacially that i live in palestine. In addition to lestining to foriegn cassets in watching movies. nice to tell you that my teachers at the English department thought that i was living in America.
    palestine

Ramid Guest

I am experiencing the same problem,too. Every time when I talk to those that I am not very familiar with, I would feel so nervous, and stutter.

Anyway, my grammar is also a reason. It' so hard to correct my grammar when I am talking...

Post Thanks / Like

Just get over it! I had a rather strict English teacher who solved this problem in his way. Speaking our native language in class was punished by the equivalent of a dollar. Relating that to my allowance - I would have been broke on Monday morning. As long as you used English, tried to talk around words you did not know or explain them - everything was fine. Wah tis the worst that can happen to you? Someone laughs at you? Have the last laugh! You know a second language. Do they?

Reemy is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Jordan
      • Current Location:
      • Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Since travelling to England was ,several years ago,something too much to hope for ,my personal solution to this problem was to keep on memorizing whatever English material fall in my hand. I started to memorize one page ,e.g. an article, a day then gradually making it two pages. Now i can recite a whole short story in front of 32 students with a self -confidence of a native speaker. Use the abilities of your mind, memorize complete sentences not only separated words, then practise many times as if you were asked to deliver a speech on TV. Think in English then speak .You will see the result.
    Last edited by Reemy; 19-Dec-2004 at 18:15.

Post Thanks / Like

hi Ramid,
    at first i faced this problem but don't you know what i did to improve my spoken English. I kept speaking in front of my meror every day in any subject and i improved my skills. Do your best.
    palestine
    Mona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast