Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We generally use the term 'simple' for the present and past. For the present and past perfect we generally don't bother- simply because of the number of words IMO. I only use it, like Lib, to be sure which ne we mean when necessary.

  2. #12
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: help with tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I have not been able to find a definition for past perfect simple. How does that differ from past perfect?

    http://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/past-perfect.html
    Excuse me, gentlemen, would you mind if I offer some additional links? They seem to be visual aids to your remarkable lesson.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/le...rnitv210.shtml
    http://grammar.englishclub.com/verb-...-perfect_u.htm
    http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/gramm...perfect01.html
    http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html
    :)

    That first one is good, although it threw me when the name "Michael" came up in one of the sentences. It is good that he used so many examples. All of them appear to be quite useful. (Still no past perfect simple.)

    8)

  3. #13
    cyrus Guest

    Default

    How about in the case of this sentence:

    "He's been teaching French since 1984."

    The "He's" is He has, right?

    Where do I classify this sentence?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: help with tenses

    Yes Cyrus, he's been = he has been.
    Remember:
    have / has + past participle = present perfect
    Be + ing = continuous / progressive
    Your sentence is a mixture of the two: has + been + ing, so it's present perfect continouous/progressive.

  5. #15
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The present perfect progressive here denotes that the overall thing (teaching) has not finished, but some part of it (since 1984) has been completed.

  6. #16
    jwschang Guest

    Default Re: help with tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrus
    Hi, I am self studying English Grammar and one activity in my workbook is the need to define these sentences into the following Categories:

    Past/Present/Future Perfect Simple
    Past/Present/Future Progressive
    Past/Present Future Perfect Progressive

    Sentences are:

    We had finished fishing before they arrived.
    I met Brian as I was walking to the restaurants.
    I had been cycling all night and was exhausted.
    She had had that cat since she was twelve.
    He walked to work every day.
    I have been waiting for Tim over an hour.
    He became a success in later life.
    They will have finished their work before breakfast time.
    I'll be waiting by the City Hall.


    **please help i have been studying for one week and cannot understand**
    The following may help you to understand tenses better.
    1. Tenses are of 2 basic types (a) Simple (b) Compound
    2. Simple tenses do not have a supporting verb, therefore, the Simple Present tense and Simple Past tense.
    3. The Future tense is not a Simple Tense. It uses the supporting verb Will or Shall.
    4. A compound tense comprises the main verb and at least one supporting verb (called auxiliary verb). E.g. Will (auxiliary) go (main verb).
    5. In a compound tense, the Auxiliary Verb indicates TIME (Present, Past, Future), using the auxiliary's Present Form, or Past Form, or Will/Shall.
    (a) Auxiliary BE: Present forms are AM/IS/ARE, past forms WAS/WERE
    (b) Auxiliary HAVE: Present form HAVE/HAS, past form HAD.
    (c) Auxiliary WILL/SHALL: Since it expresses a future time, we do not use it like BE and HAVE. The past forms WOULD and SHOULD are used to indicate not (just) Time but additional meanings like Intention, Compulsion, etc.
    6. In a compound tense, the Main Verb indicates ASPECT (Infinitive, Continuous or Perfect) using the main verb's Infinitive Form, Continuous Participle Form, or Perfect Participle Form. E.g., using the verb GO:
    (a) Future Tense: Will (aux) + Go (main, Infinitive)
    (b) Present Cont Tense: Am/Is/Are (aux, Present) + Going (main, Cont Participle)
    (c) Past Cont Tense: Was/Were (aux, Past) + Going (main, Cont Participle)
    (d) Future Cont Tense: Will/Shall (aux) + Be (aux, Infinitive) + Going (main, Cont Participle)
    (e) Present Perf Tense: Have/Has (aux, Present) + Gone (main, Perf Participle)
    (f) Past Perf Tense: Had (aux, Past) + Gone (main, Perf Participle)
    (g) Future Perf Tense: Will/Shall (aux) + Have (aux, Infinitive) + Gone (main, Perf Participle)
    (h) Present Perf Cont Tense: Have/Has (aux, Present) + Been (aux, Perf Participle) + Going (main, Cont Participle)
    (i) Past Perf Cont Tense: Had (aux, Past) + Been (aux, Perf Participle) + Going (main, Cont Participle)
    (j) Future Perf Cont Tense: Don't worry about this one because it is rarely used.

  7. #17
    jwschang Guest

    Default Re: help with tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrus
    Hi, I am self studying English Grammar and one activity in my workbook is the need to define these sentences into the following Categories:

    Past/Present/Future Perfect Simple
    Past/Present/Future Progressive
    Past/Present Future Perfect Progressive

    Sentences are:

    We had finished fishing before they arrived. (Past Perf):"fishing" is not part of the verb but is used as a noun (called Gerund).
    I met Brian as I was walking to the restaurants. (Past Cont = Past Progressive, same thing different terminology).
    I had been cycling all night and was exhausted. (Past Perf Cont).
    She had had that cat since she was twelve. (Past Perf): the 1st "had" is the auxiliary indicating the Past; the 2nd "had" is the main verb meaning possessing something.
    He walked to work every day. (Simple Past):"work" here is a noun, e.g. walked to school. It can also be a verb in the verb phrase "walked to work" at the factory.
    I have been waiting for Tim over an hour. (Present Perf Cont)
    He became a success in later life. (Simple Past)
    They will have finished their work before breakfast time. (Future Perf)
    I'll be waiting by the City Hall. (Future Cont): "I'll" is "I shall".


    **please help i have been studying for one week and cannot understand**
    Please see answers given after each sentence.

  8. #18
    jwschang Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The present perfect progressive here denotes that the overall thing (teaching) has not finished, but some part of it (since 1984) has been completed.
    TDOL, a suggestion:
    The definition of the various tenses can help to make their meanings clearer. For example, I would define the Present Perfect Continuous as a tense to express an action that IS CONTINUING at the present time and HAS BEEN IN CONTINUANCE since an earlier time.
    I would add that this is a frequently used tense to express actions that tend to happen OVER A PERIOD OF TIME AND STILL GOES ON, such as live, do, work, study, come, go, wait, eat, sleep, wear, rain, snow, shine, feel, think, wonder, etc. E.g.,
    I have been eating spicy food since young.
    He has been sleeping since this morning.
    She has been living (or has lived) in Urumuqi for two years now.
    It has been raining for the past week.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwschang
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The present perfect progressive here denotes that the overall thing (teaching) has not finished, but some part of it (since 1984) has been completed.
    TDOL, a suggestion:
    The definition of the various tenses can help to make their meanings clearer. For example, I would define the Present Perfect Continuous as a tense to express an action that IS CONTINUING at the present time and HAS BEEN IN CONTINUANCE since an earlier time.
    I would add that this is a frequently used tense to express actions that tend to happen OVER A PERIOD OF TIME AND STILL GOES ON, such as live, do, work, study, come, go, wait, eat, sleep, wear, rain, snow, shine, feel, think, wonder, etc. E.g.,
    I have been eating spicy food since young.
    Hi,

    I think these example sentence's:

    "I have been eating spicy food since I was young"

    or:

    "I have been eating spicy food from a young age" are maybe better?


    Regards


    Mak

  10. #20
    jwschang Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli
    Quote Originally Posted by jwschang
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The present perfect progressive here denotes that the overall thing (teaching) has not finished, but some part of it (since 1984) has been completed.
    TDOL, a suggestion:
    The definition of the various tenses can help to make their meanings clearer. For example, I would define the Present Perfect Continuous as a tense to express an action that IS CONTINUING at the present time and HAS BEEN IN CONTINUANCE since an earlier time.
    I would add that this is a frequently used tense to express actions that tend to happen OVER A PERIOD OF TIME AND STILL GOES ON, such as live, do, work, study, come, go, wait, eat, sleep, wear, rain, snow, shine, feel, think, wonder, etc. E.g.,
    I have been eating spicy food since young.
    Hi,

    I think these example sentence's:

    "I have been eating spicy food since I was young"

    or:

    "I have been eating spicy food from a young age" are maybe better?


    Regards


    Mak
    I would say all 3 are OK. :wink:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How many tenses are there in English language?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2009, 02:03
  2. Future tenses or Future perfect tenses?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2006, 12:14
  3. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 00:56
  4. Tense of Tenses
    By Piak in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2003, 20:47
  5. Tenses confuse me
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-May-2003, 22:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •