Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Contractions

  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    Question Contractions

    Can you all be written in contraction form at you'll?

    Thanks

  2. Natalie27
    Guest
    #2

    Re: Contractions

    I don't think so. You'll stands for you will unless you seen that kind of contraction in some song lyrics...possibly rap/slang maybe?...

  3. Nahualli
    Guest
    #3

    Re: Contractions

    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie27
    I don't think so. You'll stands for you will unless you seen that kind of contraction in some song lyrics...possibly rap/slang maybe?...
    It is colloquial, but not slang, per se.

    In the Southern, and some parts of the Midwest and Southwest US (Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Louisiana, etc) it's very commonplace to hear people say "y'all" which is a contraction of "you all". You won't find it in a standard English dictionary but it is a valid albeit sometimes frowned upon expression.

    So your answer is yes and no. It's certainly a real contraction to the few million people who say it, but it's not considered "proper" (whatever that means)

    -Nah-

  4. Natalie27
    Guest
    #4

    Re: Contractions

    very interesting!

  5. Steven D's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 834
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Contractions

    Quote Originally Posted by Nahualli
    It is colloquial, but not slang, per se.

    In the Southern, and some parts of the Midwest and Southwest US (Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Louisiana, etc) it's very commonplace to hear people say "y'all" which is a contraction of "you all". You won't find it in a standard English dictionary but it is a valid albeit sometimes frowned upon expression.

    So your answer is yes and no. It's certainly a real contraction to the few million people who say it, but it's not considered "proper" (whatever that means)

    -Nah-
    Well said. I understand what you mean.

  6. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Contractions

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Can you all be written in contraction form at you'll?

    Thanks
    In addition,

    'a' of all is important. If we omit it--or rather replace it with an apostrophe--the resulting form looks exactly like the contraction for will:

    all => 'll
    will => 'll

    In order to reduce the ambiguity, speakers will omit ou instead of 'a':

    you all => y'all (' represents the sound ou)
    you will => you'll (' represents the sounds wi)

Similar Threads

  1. Contractions: They Are
    By Red5 in forum Beginner
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2009, 18:24
  2. An English Lesson for Beginners
    By Anonymous in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-Jul-2008, 09:10
  3. Whats that word?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2008, 21:23
  4. My english study plan...
    By coolrains in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-Jul-2007, 13:40
  5. Contractions
    By RonBee in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2004, 01:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •