Thread: Please help

Dhieny is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Please help

Hello there, I'm Dhieny. I'm Indonesian and I live in Jakarta, the capital city.

I really want the helps from the experts re: my essay. I want to join Celta. I have to submit an essay. Before I do that, I want to have some opinions from you all...please please please.

What do you think of this essay as the start? I will welcome any comment and constructive critisism. Thanks a lot. V sorry for the long sentences...

I started my work experiences as English teacher from 1993 to 1996. So far, I had developed skills in the areas of teaching techniques and had built good relationship with my students and colleagues. I also engaged in teaching related activities such as English Club, seminars and some other teacher-associated activities, where not only I contributed to the team my knowledge and my enthusiasm, but also a strong team-work ethic which helps to work closely together in a highly cultural diverse environment.
    In 1996, besides teaching in the evening and on Saturdays, I also experienced working in some companies like AXA Insurance and Nestle. I discontinued teaching in 1997 when the workloads gave me no possibility to do 2 jobs at the same time. So far from 1996 to early 2002, I worked in a various positions such as marketing, product development, and communications. Early 2002, I moved to England and started my career in finance and accounting. The latest work experience I had was a purchasing person. Those work experiences I gained from 1993 to 2007 were exciting but in the end I realised that it is teaching the main interest I have so far.
    Whilst working in one of local companies in England, I applied for a position of a volunteered teaching/classroom assistant in KS1 at a primary school in Birmingham. I did this job during summer holiday which I had 1 month leave at that time. I started being a teaching assistant in year-1 and year-2 classes. There were about 30 children aged between 5-7 years old in each class. I was involved in a whole class situation. I supported the teacher in a one to one and in small group activities. I also joined the children and played with them when they had they play-out time.
    The teachers, Miss Hamilton and Miss Sagoo, are very good. They gave me good examples of being a good teacher. I really appreciate to all the knowledge and courage they gave me. When the summer term ended in July 2005, both teachers and the deputy head teacher were asking me if I wanted to come back to their school and they would make sure they put me in their priority when there is a vacancy available as a teaching assistant. I really wanted to come back, but I also had my priority; i.e. to continue my working since I took the opportunity to be a teaching/classroom assistant as a temporary job only whilst I was on leave.
    That was a bit of a story when I was in England and had a bit of experience teaching there. Back to Indonesia in March 2007, I did not have any plan to work in the office anymore. I am interested more in teaching since I can still manage a flexible time between work and family.
    I realised, teaching is the only thing I still have a passion with. So, some time in October 2007 I browsed some English courses in Jakarta, and finally I landed myself on TBI. I made the right choice. Joining TBI gives me a lot of chances in updating myself by joining their trainings, workshops, and more particularly sharing knowledge among teachers.
    There is also a very useful activity that I like in TBI; it is teacher observation. I find it very practical for teachers to be observed and discussed about the areas of teaching that we need to improve. This is one of the reasons I like being TBI teacher. I realised that I still need to improve a lot in my teaching skills especially keeping up with the new terminologies. To me being observed is giving the ideas of what areas of strengths I have and those of where I need to improve.
    Also, TBI is working closely with Cambridge University that has a training program especially designed for the ESL teachers to gain more knowledge on teaching skills. This certification is known internationally; meaning if you want to pursue your teaching career abroad anywhere in the world; then you only need this certificate as the evidence. Of course, you cannot forget about your passion and enthusiasm to be an English teacher though.
    Therefore, the only thing I should do is to join CELTA. This certificate is not only giving me prove to be a qualified teacher in Indonesia, but also abroad if I get the chance. I hope this writing is good enough to be my passport to have the opportunity to join CELTA training some time next year.

Braidy is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please help

I am not a teacher. I am an English graduate and I do a lot of proof-reading.

Here is what I think you meant to say:

I started my work experience as an English teacher from 1993 to 1996. I developed skills in teaching techniques and built good relationship with my students and colleagues. I also engaged in teaching-related activities such as English Club, seminars and some other teacher-associated activities, where I contributed to the team not only my knowledge and enthusiasm, but also a strong team-work ethic which helped us to work closely together in a highly cultural-diverse environment.

In 1996, besides teaching in the evening and on Saturdays, I also worked in companies like AXA Insurance and Nestle. I discontinued teaching in 1997 when my workload made it impossible for me to do two jobs at the same time. From 1996 to early 2002, I worked in a various positions such as marketing, product development, and communications. Early in 2002, I moved to England and started my career in finance and accounting. My latest role was in purchasing . The work experiences I gained from 1993 to 2007 were exciting but in the end I realised that teaching is my main interest.

Whilst working in England, I applied for a position as a volunteer teaching/classroom assistant in KS1 at a primary school in Birmingham. I did this job during my summer holiday when I had a month's leave. I worked as a teaching assistant in year 1 and year 2 . There were about 30 children aged between 5-7 years old in each class. I was involved in a whole class situation and I supported the teacher in one to one and in small group activities. I also joined the children and played with them at playtime.

The teachers, Miss Hamilton and Miss Sagoo, were examples to me of excellence in teaching. I really appreciate all the knowledge and courage they gave me. When the summer term ended in July 2005, both teachers and the deputy head teacher asked me if I wanted to come back to their school and said they would give me priority when there was a vacancy as a teaching assistant. I really wanted to go back, but my priority was to continue my main occupation.

Back in Indonesia in March 2007, I did not plan to work in an office any more. I became
    more interested in teaching where I would manage more flexibility between work and family. In October 2007 I browsed some English courses in Jakarta, and finally started TBI. I made the right choice. TBI gives me a lot of opportunity to update myself by joining their training workshops and more particularly by sharing knowledge among teachers. I realised that I still need to improve a lot in my teaching skills especially in keeping up with the new terminologies. Another very useful activity in TBI is teacher observation. I find it very useful to know my strengths and weaknesses and where I need to improve.

TBI works closely with Cambridge University which has a training program especially designed to give ESL teachers more knowledge on teaching skills. This certification is known internationally; if you want to pursue your teaching career abroad anywhere in the world you only need this certificate as the evidence. Of course, you cannot forget about your passion and enthusiasm to be an English teacher.

I now want to join CELTA. With this certificate I can not only teach in Indonesia, but also abroad if I get the chance. I hope this writing is good enough to give me the opportunity to join CELTA training some time next year.

Note - did you mean terminologies - what things are called - or technologies?

Good luck!

Braidy