atitgautam is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he might eat a

i was given to write a journal about "
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Teach a man to create an artificial shortage of fish and he will eat steak. Jay Leon
    ..but i dont know how to start and what the meaning of this sentence...can you plzz give me the direction..

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he might e

Quote Originally Posted by atitgautam View Post
    i was given to write a journal about "
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Teach a man to create an artificial shortage of fish and he will eat steak. – Jay Leon
    ..but i dont know how to start and what the meaning of this sentence...can you plzz give me the direction..
    The first two parts (which I've marked in red and magenta) make up a saying frequently quoted in the context of charitable giving: "it's better to teach someone how to look after himself than to just support him"; the mention of food, particularly fish, is metaphorical - the saying is about giving and teaching. Jay Leon, a 'big name' in the business of food marketing, has taken the idea one stage further. The last part (which I've marked in green) takes what was a metaphor and forces it back into the commercial world that Jay Leon knows; he's not talking about charity, he's talking about capitalism: "if you create an artificial shortage, the price goes up - so you'll 'eat steak'" (which for some reason is regarded as preferable to fish ).

As far as understanding the words is concerned, the main difficulty I can see is that in the first sentence "fish" is a noun and in the second and third it is a noun.

b

PS See more background on the sort of man we're dealing with here: http://www.futureinreview.com/partic...galleryid=3612
    Last edited by BobK; 25-Nov-2008 at 12:25. Reason: PS Added