Thread: driven

• Post Thanks / Like

driven

Hi,

What does "driven" mean in this context? I look it up in the dictionary, but it seems that does not help. I can not get this one.

Thanks for your help.

... ...
    Professor: The electron microscope is an excellent example of applied science. But not all technology can be described as applied science. In fact, technology was driven by inventive humans who built tools, made pottery, designed musical instruments, and so on, all without science - that is, without people necessarily understanding why their inventions worked.
    ... ...

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: driven

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi,

What does "driven" mean in this context? I look it up in the dictionary, but it seems that does not help. I can not get this one.

Thanks for your help.

... ...
    Professor: The electron microscope is an excellent example of applied science. But not all technology can be described as applied science. In fact, technology was driven by inventive humans who built tools, made pottery, designed musical instruments, and so on, all without science - that is, without people necessarily understanding why their inventions worked.
    ... ...
    Hello!

Just a student.

I think the text says that technology was motivated or was a result, a consequence of ''inventive humans who built tools...''.

Maybe you can substitute "was driven" for "was led" and maintain the meaning intact.

You can also say "the car was driven by a white man" to mean that the car's motion was controlled by a white man sitting in front of its steering wheel.

Still, you can say "he was driven by greed" to mean that "his actions were motivated by greed".

Let's see what a native speaker says.

Just a student.
    Last edited by jctgf; 25-Nov-2008 at 21:55.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    Hello!

Just a student.

I think the text says that technology was motivated or was a result, a consequence of ''inventive humans who built tools...''.

Maybe you can substitute "was driven" for "was led" and maintain the meaning intact.

You can also say "the car was driven by a white man" to mean that the car's motion was controlled by a white man sitting in front of its steering wheel.

Still, you can say "he was driven by greed" to mean that "his actions were motivated by greed".

Let's see what a native speaker says.

Just a student.
    But, I am grateful for your kind help. Thanks, jctgf.

I guess I can get "was driven" in this way, as you said, " In fact, technology was led (driven) by inventive humans who built tools, made pottery, designed musical instruments, and so on,".

But I am not pretty sure. Any help from teachers?

Thank you everybody.

• Post Thanks / Like

I feel there is a difference between driving something [making it go forward] and leading something [pulling it behind me].

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I feel there is a difference between driving something [making it go forward] and leading something [pulling it behind me].

555 ... Anglika, I think this "was driven" just has driven me crazy.

The more explantion I get from others, the more I am confused.

I just I FEEL maybe I get it from the get-go, but... Maybe if you offer me a synonym of "was driven", that would be more clear to me.

I can find definition, "make sb. do sth/ to force sb. to act in a particular way" for "drive". So, may I get "was driven" in this way, "was forced", or I think "was motivated" would be more accurate in this context.

What is your opinion?

• Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list of synonyms for "driven" in the sense of moving something onwards: motivated, compelled, consumed, galvanized, herded, pushed, guided, steered, directed, induced

The context will indicate what meaning is most intended. In this case I would suggest either "galvanized" or "directed", or even "induced" as alternatives.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

• Post Thanks / Like

propelled? headed?
    Last edited by jctgf; 27-Nov-2008 at 23:10.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Here is a list of synonyms for "driven" in the sense of moving something onwards: motivated, compelled, consumed, galvanized, herded, pushed, guided, steered, directed, induced

The context will indicate what meaning is most intended. In this case I would suggest either "galvanized" or "directed", or even "induced" as alternatives.
    Okay, I get it.

I think the most useful tip for me is , "driven" has meaning of "moving sth. onward".

Thanks for your help, Anglika !

And also, thanks, jctgf.!