Post Thanks / Like

Post Abduction vs kidnapping?

Can someone, please, give me a definitive and comprehensive answer on the difference between "kidnapping" and "abduction" (in a non-alien sense)... I know that criminally they do not charge people with abduction, only kidnapping. Intuitively, I know when to use one or the other, but I need someone to help me go past my intuition.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by ATDM; 25-Nov-2008 at 17:28.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abduction vs kidnapping?

Under US law, to abduct someone is to carry them away against their will via force or deceitful means. The purpose of the abductor is unknown until (or if) the victim is recovered. A divorced parent might abduct their child off the playground just to have the custody denied to him by the courts, or a sex offender might abduct someone to satisfy their own perverse desires.

To kidnap someone is to take them against their will and hold them "hostage" to use them as a negotiating tool, either to gain quick money (ransom) or to use as a bargaining tool for political reasons. The intent behind a kidnapping is usually revealed after the victim has been spirited away so that negotiations may begin.

jctgf is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu
    Post Thanks / Like

this is a very interesting question.
    is it right to say that the difference between one and the other is the purpose?
    an abduction is never perpetrated with the objective of gaining quick money or using the victims as a bargaining tool?
    thanks.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    this is a very interesting question.
    is it right to say that the difference between one and the other is the purpose?
    an abduction is never perpetrated with the objective of gaining quick money or using the victims as a bargaining tool?
    thanks.
    Yes, more or less correct. An abductor takes a victim for his own selfish purposes and tries to maintain a low or anonymous profile. A kidnapper eventually makes his abduction known, either to the media or strictly to the immediate family of his victim. He uses his captive as a bargaining tool, whereas the typical abductor keeps his captive as secret as possible.