Unregistered Guest

How to ensure impeccable English?

Sir/madam,
    I am a journalist working for an English language newspaper in Pakistan. I have an urge to make my English language skills what are often called 'impeccable'. Could you suggest me any book or some other resources/ways to improve.

Regards,
    Muhammad Shahid

colloquium is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to ensure impeccable English?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sir/madam,
    I am a journalist working for an English language newspaper in Pakistan. I have an urge to make my English language skills what is often called 'impeccable'. Could you suggest me any book or some other resources/ways to improve.

Regards,
    Muhammad Shahid
    Where are your stengths and weaknesses?

I made one correction in your text. The verb "to be" should agree with what.

what is often called 'impeccable'.

What is a singular pronoun meaning "the thing which" and therefore requires the singular 3rd person form of to be. I assume you chose are to have it agree with English language skills and it's an easy mistake to make I am sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have native speakers in your office?
    Have you asked them, is it your grammar, vocabulary, or pronunciation that needs most work?

As a journalist, you have resources:
    1. read British newspapers
    2. watch DVDs of movies where the actors speak in Standard English, such as Jewel in the Crown, Passage to India, and Staying On so you hear how English is pronounced.
    3. Contact the British Embassy, or make other enquiries about social or interest groups where English speakers are bound to be. For Pakistan, a cricket club immediately springs to mind! Contact with members will give you all that's necessary to continue your acquisition of the elements for 'impeccable speech'.

macanudo is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

One book that is very useful is "Practical English Usage" by Michael Swan. This book describes and talks about all the major grammar points in the English language and gives you lots of examples. It's more of a reference than a book but it is still very useful. You do have to know a little bit about grammar vocabulary (e.g. present perfect, past perfect continuous etc...) to look up the grammar.

I agree with the other posts as well. Trying to speak with as many foreigners as you can will help maintain good English. To improve and make it impeccable you must study your weaknesses. I hope this helps!