• Post Thanks / Like

Before I apply for the job, I am getting/going to get more information about it

What would you choose to fill in the blank below?
    "Before I apply for the job, I am.... more information about it"
    A. getting
    B. going to get
    I think both are acceptable but I'd prefer answer A.
    Please share your opinion with me.
    Thank you in advance

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before I apply for the job, I am getting/going to get more information about it

"Going to get," because you will get the information and are not actively getting it right now.

If you were getting the information right now, the sentence should read, "I am getting more information about the job that I will apply to."
    Last edited by calinative; 02-Dec-2008 at 15:31. Reason: incorrect quote

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before I apply for the job, I am getting/going to get more information about it

Quote Originally Posted by calinative View Post
    "Going to get," because you will get the information and are not actively getting it right now.

If you were getting the information right now, the sentence should read, "I am getting more information about the job that I will apply to."
    Why can't "getting" be used to express intention (something that you planned to do in the future) in that sentece as in "I'm geting the information about the job tomorrow"?

Thanks.
    Last edited by anreak; 02-Dec-2008 at 17:31.

• Post Thanks / Like

This one is difficult to explain. I said "going to get" primarily because it sounds correct and natural. "Am getting" sounds wrong in the sentence.

I think when you begin the sentence with "Before," you imply the future (because the event has not yet occurred). Therfore, you must keep the future tense with "going to get" and not change it to present tense with "am getting."

However, the following sounds correct: "I am getting more information about it before I apply for the job." And the example provided by Anreak sounds correct, too: "Im getting more information about the job tomorrow." In both these cases, you begin with the present continuous tense and you remain in the present (the present is, by nature, before tomorrow and before any activities that will happen in the future).

The original sentence, by beginning with "before," implies the future...something that has not yet happened.

NOTE: You could begin a sentence with "before" and be speaking in the past tense but the verbs need to be in past tense.

Examples:
    Before I ate lunch, I talked with Mary. (Notice the verbs are in past tense).

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

Wow...It's all too complex to me. Anyway I read the sentence many times and I'm pretty convinced that using "getting" is not a good choice, I also found that comma in the middle of the sentence strange. Thanks for taking the time. More inputs?