dragongal Guest

Question writting essays in examination

Im a student in O Levels.In the O Levels examination,we are given one hour for comprehension and 2 hours for 2 essays.In previous exams,i have scarcely manage to finish the essay part,and even then i was not satisfied with what i wrote.I am used to writting a draft and then review it.But in exam,it is not possible,there is not enough time.So I would like to know of a method which will help me write faster but at the same time well,and also keep my mind from wandering else where(which happens when im trying to gather my thoughts).

There's another thing.I would like to know whether in exams,Im writting an essay and NOT a story,am I allowed to switch the tenses.For example,I was writting in pass tense and I want to switch to present tense.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: writting essays in examination

It seems that your teachers want to see what you can come up with in a hurry. I would be interested in knowing what their comments have been. To stay on the safe side, I would keep everything in the same tense.

Note:
    writing
    past tense
    I'm

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dragongal
    Im a student in O Levels.In the O Levels examination,we are given one hour for comprehension and 2 hours for 2 essays.In previous exams,i have scarcely manage to finish the essay part,and even then i was not satisfied with what i wrote.I am used to writting a draft and then review it.But in exam,it is not possible,there is not enough time.So I would like to know of a method which will help me write faster but at the same time well,and also keep my mind from wandering else where(which happens when im trying to gather my thoughts).

There's another thing.I would like to know whether in exams,Im writting an essay and NOT a story,am I allowed to switch the tenses.For example,I was writting in pass tense and I want to switch to present tense.
    It's possible to switch from past tense to present tense in the same essay.
    Imagine you're writing about a past event. Within that context you might refer to something that is a fact, something that occurs on a regular basis, or something that is habitual. That would require the simple present. So it's quite possible that mixing the past and present in the same essay would be unavoidable. I think in most forms of discourse, spoken or written, switching from past to present is a frequent occurence. I wouldn't say it always happens, however. It depends on the writing (or speaking).

Still, it would depend. One would have to first write the essay and then take it from there.
    Last edited by Steven D; 13-Nov-2004 at 22:53.

dragongal Guest

Thankyou for answering ^_^
    Now I know how to deal with the tenses.
    Does anyone know how to deal with my first problem??It'd be grately appreciated if you could post your ideas.

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dragongal
    Thankyou for answering ^_^
    Now I know how to deal with the tenses.
    Does anyone know how to deal with my first problem??It'd be grately appreciated if you could post your ideas.
    Write your essay as it occurs to you. I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it. This should allow you some time to go back and revise. However, if you have a hard time trying to think of what to write, then I'm not sure what to say about that. I would just write as the ideas come to you. As I said, don't stop to think about it too much. Use whatever time you have to go back and revise.

Writing has to be well-ordered and logical. However, thoughts don't always come to mind in that manner when we speak. It would be a good idea to practice writing in preparation for the exam. Practice expressing yourself in writing. It's not easy, but the more you do it, the better you'll get. If it's sentence structure you have trouble with, then you'd have to show you're writing to a teacher for help with that.
    Last edited by Steven D; 18-Nov-2004 at 13:43.

dragongal Guest

Thankyou for your advise.^_^
    I think I'm okay in expressing in writing.i suppose i might hav pushed myself a bit too much in making it good while writing.

dragongal Guest

Ok.Here's a new question.In the essays,is it ok to use slangs in a conversation?