• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

I bought both the books for my class. / I bought the both books for my class.

Dear teachers,

Would you explain to me why the correctly written in my native language sentence “ I bought the both books for my class.” is wrong in English language and why the sentence in question must to have the following wording “I bought both the books for my class.”?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I bought both the books for my class. / I bought the both books for my class.

Just a guess:

"Both" precedes the articles because the articles can be different depending on the situation. Therefore, if "both" is placed before the articles, it applies to both articles.

Examples:
    I bought both a piece of paper and a pencil.
    I bought both the shirt and a tie.
    I bought both my books and a backpack.
    Or...
    I bought both the books for my class.

A question for other teachers or V:

Is the original sentence supposed to be, "I bought both of the books for my class," since we are only talking about books?

I think it sounds better, but I donīt know if it is correct...

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I bought both the books for my class. / I bought the both books for my class.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you explain to me why the correctly written in my native language sentence “ I bought the both books for my class.” is wrong in English language and why the sentence in question must to have the following wording “I bought both the books for my class.”?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    A native speaker of English would never say "the both." It is just unnecessary to do so. "Of" is an understood preposition in this sentence. The main sentence is "I bought both." (S-V-DO) All the other words are contained in the prepositions, "of the books" and "for my class." Both of the prepositional phrases are acting like adjectives in the sentence. The first modifies the word "both." The second modifies the word "books" in the previous preposition.

I am sorry I do not understand your language enough to explain why it would be correct in one and not the other.