• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: colloquial words

Quote Originally Posted by SUDHKAMP View Post
    Also, you forgot an important quality on an author, he has to be very honest about himself and has to almost bare himself in public(ideawise). Many authors have written that they could not write a single word, which they did not deem fit in their idealogy. The readers and critics always found that weak part in the story where there was conflict in the author's idealogy and the dramtic turn/twist given by author for some or the other reason.
    An author also needs to be of very very very open mind.
    Hope you would also acquire these qualities soon.

With all due respet, I think the concept of privacy is completely different from the concept of honesty or openness. I am open to discuss anything which are not involves in politics or religions which are taboos in light of the rules of forums and privacy. And I am honest. For instance, I wrote to one of my clients and told him voluntarily last month I'd like to refund him $ 300 after I finished a business project because I had miscalculated the time I would spent. He responded let me keep the money because he would have other projects for me next year.

As far as I know, most Western people highly respect other people's privacy. One of my former teachers of English, who is a New Zealander, taught us not to ask people's marital status, women's age, and income, etc. which belong to people's privacy unless they would like to mention them voluntarily. I am totally for what he said. Those crazy paparazzi, who have a prying eye, even drove Wales Princess Diana to death. They are bad journalists. Even if privacy exposing were the quality which so-called good writers would be expected to have, I would never want to acquire such a quality. What's more, I don't make a living for writing and don't have the dream of that occupation. I am not a celebrity or an actress in show bussiness.

I understand what I mentioned above might be different with your thoughts as an Indian. Since the forums are of multi-cultures because we, forum members, come from different countries with different backgrounds. I respect people's appropriate liking, religions, and political inclinations, etc., which might be different from mine. Likewise, I hope people treat me in the same way. Curtain twitchers never become my friends. Friendship is based on mutual respect and understanding but not prying into privacy.

I am not going to discuss this further if you don't mind since my main purpose is to learn English but not online chatting as my profile indicates. Thank you for your reading! Have a good day!
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 04-Dec-2008 at 07:24.

SUDHKAMP is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are taking it personally, that was not the intention. I was speaking through my experiences as an author. You are moving in a direction which is not proper. Perhaps, you are too obsessed with that privacy thing. I also respect your privacy, but there is also fun going on in the forums. Rest, I am also here to improve upon friendship and English language.

Dear thedaffodils, come out of the shell and enjoy the fun.

supada is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: colloquial words

Hey dear Sudh and thedaffodils,

After reading all of the posts, it was just misundertanding, I guess.

You two are very nice people in the forum. I'm sure both of you have a good intention in the first place.

thedaffodils, don't say your English is clumsy! Even I study in English at this time, mine is still worse than yours, I bet! I'm a writer as well but I only write music article and for sure... in Thai .

Let's keep up good work, thedaffodils and Sudh!

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like