• Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Volunteer

Dear Teachers,

I finally got my IT acreditation and would like start gaining some work experience at a charity organization. I wrote a cover letter and would like you to give me your opinion aboout it. if you find some akward or unnaturall sentences, please do tell me.

My name is XXX and I would like to express my interest in becoming a volunteer at XXX. I used to work as a professional English and German teacher back in Poland. However, as far as I can remember, I have always been involved in charity work. My first one was already at the ager of eighteen, at the local hospital, where I was looking after old, ill people during my summer holiday. I was so keen on providing medical service that soon after I obtained the first aid qualifications. Then I left my home town for Germany to make my Master degree in European Integration. Again I got involved in voluntary job at a local church by helping children from broken families with their school assignments. So I can say that helping others has always been my passion.

I would like to take up on it again, here in London because I know how charity work can be rewarding, how much it meant to me and how much I've learnt about myself by doing it. I am also aware that communities and individuals need each other and that they can change their own lives if they want to make it happen. From my experience, I can tell that charity organizations couldn’t exist without the support of their donors, volunteers and fundraisers. I would be very pleased to give my time to an organisation that has made such a huge difference to the lives of so many people affected by XXX. I also want to make a difference because values like respecting each other, living without prejudice and discrimination have always been close to me. During my studying at an international university in Germany, they grew even stronger and stronger inside me.

In 2007, I and my wife decided to move to the UK. Here in London I experienced work in the hospitality industry. However, I have been passionate about computers so I started developing these kinds of skills. Having joined XXX, an IT training provider in London, I became a Microsoft Certified Professional, which made me suited to IT work environment. This is way I think that my personal values, experiences and passion for computers are a perfect match to become an IT Admin Volunteer at your organisation.

I can provide my charity work and my previous jobs references if required. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    XXX

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Volunteer

My first one - My first job/position + already doesn't work there IMO.
    old, ill people- Currently the preferred PC term is older people, so I'd use that and get rid of ill as it's unnecessary if you're working in a hospital.
    my summer holiday- my summer holidays
    in voluntary job- use in a voluntary job or in voluntary jobs
    Germany to make my Master - to taske a Master's
    I would like to take up on it again,- I would like to take it up here
    how charity work can be rewarding- how trewarding charity...
    I experienced work- I have worked
    I have been passionate about computers- I am or I have always been
    This is way- This is a way

banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    My first one - My first job/position + already doesn't work there IMO.
    old, ill people- Currently the preferred PC term is older people, so I'd use that and get rid of ill as it's unnecessary if you're working in a hospital.
    my summer holiday- my summer holidays
    in voluntary job- use in a voluntary job or in voluntary jobs
    Germany to make my Master - to taske a Master's
    I would like to take up on it again,- I would like to take it up here
    how charity work can be rewarding- how trewarding charity...
    I experienced work- I have worked
    I have been passionate about computers- I am or I have always been
    This is way- This is a way
    Thank you so much!
    Could you take a look at these sentences again and say if they are fine?
    My first position was at the age of eighteen, at the local hospital, where I was looking after older people during my summer holidays.

Then I left my home town for Germany to task a Master’s degree in European Integration.

And also I think that some others needed some tinkering.
    1. So I can say that helping others has always meant a lot to me.
    2.I know how rewarding charity work can be, in terms of making me feel satisfied, and how much I've learnt about myself by doing it.
    3.During my studying at a multi cultural university in Germany, they grew even stronger and stronger in me.

Are these sentences any better?