• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Macau
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Weak breath - how to improve

I have just realized that my breath is so weak, so I can't speak in a long breath and I feel that my speech is made with so little force. Have anyone of you experienced the same feeling as me? I am rather depressed and confused about how to improve it. How can I make my voice stronger?(because I hear native speakers talk very gently but strongly). Can you help me? Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weak breath - how to improve

Maybe join a singing class...it is fun and there are a lot breathing exercises.

albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_3110 View Post
    I have just realized that my breath is so weak, so I can't speak in a long breath and I feel that my speech is made with so little force. Have anyone of you experienced the same feeling as me? I am rather depressed and confused about how to improve it. How can I make my voice stronger?(because I hear native speakers talk very gently but strongly). Can you help me? Thank you very much!
    Hi, Squirrel. Here is my advice. Put your hand on your abdomen to feel that you are breathing with your diaphragm rather than with your lung for six times, then pause and try another round. Practice whenever you are on the way home or to office by bus/ferry/air. As long as you get used to breathe with the diaphragm, your voice will be getting louder and forceful. Hope that helps.
    (Not a teacher)

pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Squirrel:

The advice of Albertino and Calinative is excellent.
    I had trouble learning to breathe from my diaphragm. I just didn't get it. So, if you, too, have trouble, I would suggest two things:
    1) get a really good illustrated anatomy/physiology text and study the diaphragm. You can't really touch any part of it except where it hooks onto your ribs, so it can be hard to visualize.
    2) a dance teacher taught me this: stand with your elbows out, hands grasping your lower rib cage on each side. Breathe so you can feel your lower rib cage expanding. This happens because your diaphragm is moving downward to create a vacuum. This vacuum allows your lungs to fill with air. If you practice this each day, it will become a habit.
    Pay attention to your chest. Do not let it rise and fall with your breathing.

Another reason for shallowness of breath is lack of aerobic exercise. Do you walk briskly every day? This is essential for maintaining the aerobic capacity that is part of good strong breath.

And one more thing: You don't smoke, do you? If you do, STOP right now. Smoking is a killer of aerobic capacity.

All best wishes,

Petra