• Post Thanks / Like

Various Questions including CV and more

Dear very helpful forum members,
    I would be very happy, If you could comment about my CV and make corrections and suggestions.
    Question: I was born and grown in Germany ( Dual Citizenship German-Turkish). I wonder if my mother language is German or Turkish?

*I want to apply for an internship next year in India or in China.

EDUCATION

October 2006 Present South Asian Studies, University Heidelberg, Germany
    Specialization: International Relations, Political Science

October 2004 February 2006 Politics and Administrative Science, University Konstanz

2003 Private Kardelen High School, Turkey

WORK EXPERIENCE

February 2006 July 2006 Office for Integration, Karlsruhe, Germany
    Assistant to Dr. Attila Tuna. Involved in Consulting immigrants. Helped them to communicate with other departments or translated their legal papers.

PROFESSIONAL SKILLS

Languages:German, Turkish, English (advanced), Hindi (intermediate), Chinese and Korean (Basic Knowledge)
    Computer Skills: Advanced in MS Office, Open Office, Excel, Power Point

PERSONAL

Born on April 21, 1984, Karlsruhe, Germany
    Personal interests include basketball, football, ping pong, travelling ( travelled East China and most of the Europe), charity organizing ( co-founder of German-Turkish initiative which helps immigrants in Germany), politics and political history and reading historical books, getting to know different cultures and languages.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Various Questions including CV and more

Quote Originally Posted by wuwu View Post
    February 2006 July 2006 Office for Integration, Karlsruhe, Germany

Assistant to Dr. Attila Tuna. Involved in Consulting immigrants. Helped them to communicate with other departments or translated their legal papers.
    This shouldn't be a capital, and it should read "consulting with immigrants." If I've understood it correctly, that is.

Computer Skills: Advanced in MS Office, Open Office, Excel, Power Point
    Lose "Open Office." It will be assumed that anyone who can use MS Office will be able to use Open Office, but I've never seen a professional organisation that uses Open Office. And on that, lose MS Office, and simply leave the exact programs within MS Office that you know how to use. Certainly don't put MS Office and Excel and Powerpoint because they're part of the same thing. That's just a personal thing though, from hiring people who claim to know how to use MS Office because they've typed a few essays on Word, and yet have never even seen Access and don't know how to do a simple formula in Excel.

Personal interests include basketball, football, ping pong, travelling ( travelled East China and most of the Europe), charity organizing ( co-founder of German-Turkish initiative which helps immigrants in Germany), politics and political history and reading historical books, getting to know different cultures and languages.
    All good, but I would seperate the charity organising from the rest of it, and talk about it in a bit more detail, including the exact responsibilities you had in setting it up. That's something that would really boost your CV, so don't bury it in your personal interests section, give it a small paragraph to itself. I would put the travelling into a sentence by itself (I don't think brackets look very good on a CV), because it's something that would be a point of interest considering you're going for a job in another country.

My only other question would be what qualifications did you get at each of the schools and colleges you mention?

But it looks like a pretty impressive CV. Good luck.

Not a teacher.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post

My only other question would be what qualifications did you get at each of the schools and colleges you mention?

In my first Universtiy I did not graduate because I changed my university after 3 semesters to study in Heidelberg and as mentioned right now I am in Heidelberg university, I will graduate in 3 Semesters with Bachelor of Arts.

so the organizing charity will be still under " Personal Interests" but I should explain it detailed. Did I get it right ?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep it under "Personal," but "personal interests" in particular is more like your hobbies. So yes, just another paragraph in the same section.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

You didn't consult immigrants. Instead, you gave them advice. You could also say you counseled them. Also, you might want to be a little bit more specific. (What kind of advice did you give immigrants? Legal advice?)