• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default expressing of protest with a short response beginning with "but"

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your opinion concerning my expressing of protest agaist the following statement with a short response beginning with “but”?

1.1. I’ll put a way this yellow paint. You don’t want it any more.
    1.2. But I do! Our cupboard in the bathroom needs painting. It looks awfully shabby!

2.1. You’ve got ever so much to do today! Surely, you don’t need to go to the shoemaker’s now!
    2.2. Oh, but I must! Nelly’s shoes want(need) mending., they are not fit to wear.

3.1. Let me switch off the electric iron. You are not going to use it any more, are you!
    3.2. But I am! My blouse wants(needs) ironing, it’s all crumpled!

4.1. Be a good girl, don’t get up at this unearthly hour to go to the hairdressers!
    4.2. Oh, but I have to. My hair wants(needs) setting after a bath! Look what a sight I am!

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 07-Dec-2008 at 08:07.

pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: expressing of protest with a short response beginning with "but"

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your opinion concerning my expressing of protest against the following statement with a short response beginning with ďbutĒ?

1.1. Iíll put away this yellow paint. You donít want it any more.
    1.2. But I do! Our cupboard in the bathroom needs painting. It looks awfully shabby!

2.1. Youíve got ever so much to do today! Surely, you donít need to go to the shoemakerís now!
    2.2. Oh, but I must! Nellyís shoes want mending, they are not fit to wear.

3.1. Let me switch off the electric iron. You are not going to use it any more, are you?
    3.2. But I am! My blouse wants ironing, itís all crumpled!

4.1. Be a good girl, donít get up at this unearthly hour to go to the hairdressers!
    4.2. Oh, but I have to. My hair wants setting after a bath! Look what a sight I am!

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Lovely job, Vil. I will just add, for what it's worth, that in AmE. the verb to need is more common than to want in these contexts. (My hair needs setting, etc.)

Petra